Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini - Black Screen

I have the black screen on my Mac Mini and have tried every solution possible from the web but nothing has worked.

All I get is the Apple logo with the loading bar then it goes to black screen.

How can I restore from a backup if I can't get to anything to start the restore?

The only thing that I can get to is the command prompt (white text on a black screen)

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 6:20 AM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2022 4:41 AM in response to JABOWSI

A lot of other people are having this issue after updating to macOS 12.3. The problem seems to be if you are using thunderbolt/USB-C for display and are using scaled resolution. The fix/workarounds is to connect display via HDMI. From there you could change your display resolution to a non-scaled resolution, then change back to thunderbolt/USB-C. Once everything is running you can change your resolution to a scaled resolution, but when you restart you are back to black screen. Wake from sleep works, so don't turn off your computer unless you want to do the cable dance. |

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253745638

Mar 15, 2022 7:57 AM in response to padams35

Hi, It is a Mac Mini Late 2014 Intel i5

It has latest Monterey OS and was running fine with that for weeks.

I have tried all the suggested..

Hold down command + S + P + R

Hold down Command + Opt + P

Hold down Opt and start Mac

The only one that produces a screen is the following but then the commands after that just show file not found errors.

Hold command (⌘) + S while powering on

command prompt ( :/ root# )

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist rm /Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist rm /private/var/db/.AppleUpgrade

How do I restore from backup which I have if I can't access any disk screen?

Can I restore from backup from command prompt Hold command (⌘) + S while powering on?

Mar 15, 2022 10:15 AM in response to JABOWSI

I don't think the first two key combos are actually commands...

Give option a second try, only this time shutdown the mac first and begin pressing and holding option a split second -after- you power up your mini.

If that doesn't work try:

<command-r> for recovery mode, or <option-command-r> for internet recovery.

If the first fails the internal drive may be dead or corrupted. If the second fails I'd wounder if the 'option' key was broken.

Mar 16, 2022 3:08 AM in response to JABOWSI

I read somewhere on macRumors, that it could help to change the DisplayPort version on your monitor from DP 1.4 to DP 1.2. I tried that, but with that, my Mini does not want to boot at all, and is stuck on the apple logo with the progress bar, with the progressbar not going above 5%.

Apparently going with HDMI is a workaround, i ordered a HDMI cable suitable for 4k, and will check tonight.

Mac Mini - Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.