Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Explain “Optimize storage” to me

I’m converting to Apple Music from Spotify, and it’s going a little bumpy. I was instructed to turn on Sync Library and discovered later I had 70 gigs of music on my iPhone. I want my playlists synced but I don’t want that storage taken up by files.

So I found the Optimize Storage. Please explain this to me.

Why does it say “Minimum” when what I really want is a maximum? On my iPad I was able to delete all the songs, and set this to none, and now I have no music on my iPad, which is what I want. On my iPhone I see no easy way to delete all the music, other than doing them one by one, and there are thousands. I set “Optimize Storage” to “None”, but there are still 40 gigs of music on my phone. (The difference between iPhone and iPad apps is a constant source of irritation.)

Is there a simple way to remove all those 40 gigs of songs from my iPhone?

iPhone 13

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 2:47 PM

If you were to select 64 GB, for example, that amount of music (approx. 12,800 songs) will remain on your phone before the app starts removing music that hasn't been played in a while (if low on space).

You can also delete music from Settings > Music > Downloaded Music > Edit.

If you don't want music on your iPad you could deselect Sync Library from Settings > Music.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 2:47 PM in response to johnbycz

If you were to select 64 GB, for example, that amount of music (approx. 12,800 songs) will remain on your phone before the app starts removing music that hasn't been played in a while (if low on space).

You can also delete music from Settings > Music > Downloaded Music > Edit.

If you don't want music on your iPad you could deselect Sync Library from Settings > Music.

Explain “Optimize storage” to me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.