Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can';t remove music from ipad

Because of limited available memory (32 GB) on my iPad I want to remove all music tracks. There have been occasions I had to temporarily delete apps to do updates because of not enough space. 

In the iPad sync I unchecked all the music playlists and unchecked the box to sync all music. Nothing shows checked in the music sync window.

That resulted in some of the tracks not showing but there are still over 500 tracks listed (and playable) when I assumed there would be zero.

How do I purge the music just on the iPad (not iPhone)

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:35 PM

After following your suggestion I found opening Music still showed the tracks. I observed that each entry has the cloud symbol to download the item from the music store. Also there was zero storage for music.

I discovered that the tracks previously deleted in my sync were songs that did not come from the Apple store but uploads from my own CDs

Next going into setting/music I shut off show downloads, the listings in Music were now gone

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 5:35 PM in response to Derryl S

After following your suggestion I found opening Music still showed the tracks. I observed that each entry has the cloud symbol to download the item from the music store. Also there was zero storage for music.

I discovered that the tracks previously deleted in my sync were songs that did not come from the Apple store but uploads from my own CDs

Next going into setting/music I shut off show downloads, the listings in Music were now gone

can';t remove music from ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.