Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes export all playlists

Hi,

is there an easy way (automated???) to export ALL playlists from iTunes.

Does export Playlist also keep the Plays etc etc for a Song, or is that only in the Library?

TiA

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 6:43 PM

Re: Does export Playlist also keep the Plays etc etc for a Song, or is that only in the Library?

Yes it does, exported a playlist as XML and in there is listed (per song)

<key>Play Count</key><integer>xx</integer>

4 replies

Mar 17, 2022 5:24 AM in response to mjcm_nl

It depends on what you want to do with the lists later. iTunes for Windows can be set up to generate an iTunes (Music) Library.xml file automatically which covers the whole library. If this is used to reconstruct a library then play counts would be restored. If however you export an individual playlist as an XML file, clear the play counts of the tracks in the list, delete the list, and then reimport the exported list I don't think you necessarily get the play counts back. At the very least it is something you would need to test. What is it that you're trying to achieve?

tt2

Mar 20, 2022 7:46 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

sorry for the late reaction.

I know I can export the Library (File - Export Library) and it will also save the Playlists, but I want be able to export All Playlists (NOT the smart playlists, but if that would be possible it would be a bonus) ALL in 1 Go (in individual files), instead of doing File - Library - Export Playlist on each and every playlist (I have approx 30 of them and they change often so that is why I want to have a Backup Individual Playlist option (if you want to call it that)

I tried something with Autohotkey, but just can not get it work right

TiA

Mar 20, 2022 8:52 PM in response to mjcm_nl

Got it. I've have a script called PlaylistsToFile that has the core code for iterating over all playlists, and another called ExportM3U that can export a playlist as an M3U(8) file. It should be possible to combine them to do what you want, exporting only the regular playlists as .m3u files to a given folder.

Another script called ExportImportPlays can be used to back up and then later restore plays if required.

tt2

itunes export all playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.