Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2013 iMac and Big Sur cannot be found to update MacOS?

What is wrong with my iMac, it's a 2013 model and Big Sur cannot be found in the app store so I can update the MacOS? It keeps telling me that the update cannot be found?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 3:02 AM

There's nothing wrong with your 2013 iMac - but it cannot support Big Sur.

The hardware specifications at this page state that the oldest iMac capable of supporting Big Sur is: iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014)

A 2013 iMac cannot be upgraded beyond macOS Catalina 10.15.7

4 replies

Mar 17, 2022 3:08 AM in response to Beema41

Beema41 wrote:

I thought as much however on the Big Sur page my iMac showed up as 'suitable' for the upgrade. I guess it's Apple trying to upsell their products so you need to purchase new. Disappointing really.

Q - " the Big Sur page my iMac showed up as 'suitable' for the upgrade "

A - Interesting as I am looking that that Big Sur Page and do not see this computer listed anywhere

Now, if the Software Update Applet in System Preferences offered Big Sur as an upGrade - that would be a different matter altogether.

This has happened before where a computer has been misidentified to upgrade t a newer version of macOS which it does not Qualify to Run.

If this is what has happened advise Apple via Feedback as a Bug Report

I have a 2013 iMac and Big Sur cannot be found to update MacOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.