Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone backup to Mac not behaving as expected

Hi everyone.

I regularly back my iPhone up to my Mac and I encrypt those back ups. Normally when I connect my phone to my Mac, finder will say 'Last backup to this Mac: date xx/xx/xxxx' and 'Backup all the data on your iPhone to this Mac' and 'Encrypt local backup' are already checked.

Today when I connected the iPhone, finder says 'Last backup to iCloud: date xx/xx/xxxx' with no mention of the last backup to my Mac and "backup your most important data on your iPhone to iCloud' is now checked instead of 'Backup all the data on your iPhone to this Mac' and 'Encrypt local backup' is unchecked.

If I click manage backups in finder, there is only one backup visible, even though I've made lots of them.

If I check 'Backup all the data on your iPhone to this Mac' and 'Encrypt local backup', it asks me to enter a password as if it is the first encrypted backup I am making. It only asked me to that once in the past - for all subsequent backups I would just click 'Backup now' and it would do its thing.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Shouldn't I see lots of different backups available when I click 'Manage backups'?

Shouldn't my backup preferences from before already be checked?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 5:45 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 17, 2022 7:44 AM in response to amd1

Hey amd1,

It appears that you're having some unexpected difficulties backing up your iPhone to your Mac, and we're glad to provide assistance.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iCloud - Apple Support -- Is iCloud backup turned on? Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. If it is and you've left your iPhone connected to power and Wi-Fi with the screen locked, it automatically backed up to iCloud on that date/time. The field provides the last date your iPhone was backed up and where. You'd also need to reselect your Mac for the backup you want to create and reselect "Encrypt local backup" again.

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support -- See if you're able to locate the other backups you've made on your Mac with these steps.

If not, did someone with an iOS/iPadOS have access to your user account on your Mac? Also, what was the most recent change made to your Mac?

Please let us know those answers and/or the results when you're able by replying to this post.

All the best.

Mar 17, 2022 7:55 AM in response to SnickZ.

Hello and thank you for your reply.

iCloud backup is switched on and the last backup was on 12/03/2022, which is when I was last connected to wi-fi.

I'm wondering why I need to reselect my Mac for the backup I want to create and reselect "Encrypt local backup" again. It never asked me to do that before.

I located the folder where backups are stored, but I have no idea how many backups are there (see screenshot).

No one else has access to my Mac and there have been no recent changes to my Mac, only to my iPhone when I updated to iOS 15.3.1, which has been a horrible experience ever since.

Mar 17, 2022 8:18 AM in response to amd1

Hello again.

Just to add to my reply above - I did a new encrypted backup to my Mac just now. When I clicked 'Manage Backups' previously, there was only one backup available from 12/03/2022. That backup is no longer available now (see screenshot). It seems each backup I make is overwriting the previous one. It never used to be that way before. Is that normal behaviour?

Mar 17, 2022 8:20 AM in response to amd1

amd1,

The iOS 15.4 version is the latest release from Apple for the iPhone.

Looking at the folder you shared, we see one backup, and the contents of what that one backup contains.

Have there been any recent changes, new apps downloaded, updates to your iPhone? Have you turned on any iCloud settings such as Photos or Sync Library (Music)?

There's really no way of knowing what triggered the change in your iPhone's settings if you don't recall any changes. And as for Finder asking you to set up encrypted information again is expected behavior when changing the setting back.

Let us know if you still have questions.

Take care!

Mar 17, 2022 9:04 AM in response to Dorain1

Hello and thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned, the only change I can remember was my update from iOS 13.x to 15.3.1. An update I regret every time I pick up my phone.

”as for Finder asking you to set up encrypted information again is expected behavior when changing the setting back” - I never changed that setting. It was always set to encrypt my backups. I would just click ‘backup now’ and it would just back up. It never asked me to create a password except for the first time I did an encrypted backup.

iphone backup to Mac not behaving as expected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.