Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem updating to Monterey 12.3 from 12.2.1

I have two problems with Mac OS Monterey. First, my 14" MacBook Pro will not install the update. I have tried this from the software update pane multiple times, and the software gets downloaded and the computer restarted, and the whole process seems to run, but it doesn't take. When I restart I get an error message which says, "Your computer had to restart because of an error" and I'm still on OS 12.2.1. I also tried to do a full install from the app store, but got the exact same result.

Then, when I tried to load the new OS 12.3 onto my Mac Mini 2020, it bricked the mini during the install process, and now I'm having to recover ALL OF MY DATA from a backup.

Please help!!! This OS update does not appear ready for prime time.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 6:47 AM

Chris Stratton1 wrote:

I have two problems with Mac OS Monterey. First, my 14" MacBook Pro will not install the update. I have tried this from the software update pane multiple times, and the software gets downloaded and the computer restarted, and the whole process seems to run, but it doesn't take. When I restart I get an error message which says, "Your computer had to restart because of an error" and I'm still on OS 12.2.1. I also tried to do a full install from the app store, but got the exact same result.

Then, when I tried to load the new OS 12.3 onto my Mac Mini 2020, it bricked the mini during the install process, and now I'm having to recover ALL OF MY DATA from a backup.

You can try running the update from a SafeBoot environment—log in and try your update:

Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 6:47 AM in response to Chris Stratton1

Chris Stratton1 wrote:

You can try running the update from a SafeBoot environment—log in and try your update:

Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 16, 2022 6:59 AM in response to Chris Stratton1

Sorry to hear of the problems.

Suggestion - will the Full Version of Monterey 12.3 downloaded and located in the Applications folder - restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Then run the installer on the Laptop

Regarding the Mac Mini and to compare.

Use the previous suggestion on my Mac Mini M1 updating from Version 12.2.1 to 12.3 and had zero issues. Took the actual Installation process 35 minutes to full Boot-up and no issues

Mar 21, 2022 10:50 PM in response to Chris Stratton1

I went to do the update on my late 2020 M1 Mac mini, selected Software update, it showed 12.3 was available but before I could click on it another box appeared saying some of the available software had changed. When I refreshed the Software update 12.3 wasn't available anymore and it said my Mini was up to date with 12.2.1. Good in a way I guess, I might have dodged a bullet! But what is going on at Apple that an update can cause so many problems?

Mar 22, 2022 9:06 AM in response to mick3043

I checked for updates on Mar 21 and it reported that my MacBook Pro M1 was up to date with 12.2.1. Checked again later and the update to 12.3 was available. I think the problem was caused by the server outages Apple had that day.

I wasn't able to update, though - got the iBoot Panic error that many seem to be getting though I don't have a replacement logic board. I did have to have a firmware update in February, so the updated firmware may be the issue with updating to 12.3.

Problem updating to Monterey 12.3 from 12.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.