Software update from MacOS Big Sur to either Monterey or Ventura

I'm hoping someone can help me with my problem. I have a 2019 Retina 4k 21.5" imac and I'm having problems updating my OS from Big Sur to either Monterey or Ventura, I've tried both. It downloads with no problem. I start the installation and it seemingly completes the installation, no errors or stalls. It takes about 20 minutes or so. The problem is that it returns back to the splash screen that started the installation with the prompt "continue". This seems to be an endless loop. I've hit the continue button 3 or 4 times and it goes through the installation process over and over again. I check after each loop and I'm still in Big Sur.

I appreciate any tips you can help me with. Thank You!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 26, 2023 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 3:48 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Point 2 above will also eliminate and Third Party Security Software installed and used on this computer from Interfering in the Installation process

4 - Run the Software Update Applet in System Preference while still in Safe Mode

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 3:48 AM in response to winzup

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Point 2 above will also eliminate and Third Party Security Software installed and used on this computer from Interfering in the Installation process

4 - Run the Software Update Applet in System Preference while still in Safe Mode

May 29, 2023 6:33 PM in response to winzup

Hi winzup,

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Wondering which version of Big Sur is currently installed on your 2019 iMac.

ie: You can check with Apple Menu > About this Mac:

What's new in the updates for macOS Big Sur - Apple Support says macOS Big Sur 11.7.7 is the newest version.

Eg: You may need to install that newest Big Sur version (eg: in order to have the security updates), and to back-up everything, before trying to upgrade to a newer MacOS. Then to upgrade to Monterey, before finally upgrading to Ventura.

If you already had Big Sur 11.7.7 installed, while the update-difficulty occurred:

This discussion thread (link below) has some excellent tips on possible causes:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254638327?answerId=258673718022

and

Apple has troubleshooting articles online that may help:

If your Mac doesn't have enough storage space to install

If your Mac stops at an Apple logo or progress bar during installation

If an error occurs while downloading or installing

All the best :-)

May 29, 2023 6:48 PM in response to brbo

Thank you so much for responding. I'm running 11.7.7 Big Sur and have 168G free space. It downloads fine with no errors while installing, but always returns to the beginning installation screen in what seems to be an endless loop. I've tried Monterey as well, with the same result. Thank you for the discussion thread link. I will check that out.

Software update from MacOS Big Sur to either Monterey or Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.