Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.3 update bricked my M1 MacBook Pro

Just a heads up and enquiry to know if I am not alone.

Attempted to update my 2021 MacBook Pro 14" (2TB SSD and M1pro) via software update preference pane from Monterey 12.2.1 to 12.3 Wednesday, March 16 2022. First attempt failed and rebooted back into 12.2.1 - Tried a second time which resulted in totally bricked machine - reboot loop with apple logo appearing for about 1/10th of a second and then blank screen - this repeating a number of times until the screen with the exclamation mark in a circle and URL directing me to the recovery information (similar failure occurring when attempting to boot into startup options).

Attempted numerous unsuccessful revive and recovery attempts via usbc and configurator 2.

Took the machine to Apple and they tried the same processes with the same result.

Fix is a new logic board (on back order) and data loss for the machine.

Take aways from this - ALWAYS back up your data. I have been on the Apple platform since high school in 1984. This is the first time I've had a seemingly faultless machine bricked by an Apple software update.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 4:36 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 10, 2022 10:24 AM in response to MarkCampbe11

I'm sorry to hear what you experienced. Resetting the SMC or PRAM usually solves a Mac that won't start.

This means:

1. unplug the computer from everything.
  2. hold the power button down 30 seconds.
  3. plug back in the computer
  4. tap the power button again.

If the machine is under 4 years old, hold the:

command-option-P-R keys simultaneously with the power button using the laptop's built-in keyboard or a USB keyboard. Wireless keyboards do not work well with startup sequences. PC keyboards the command key is the Windows key, and Alt key is the Option key. A PRAM zap as this is called will either cause the machine's light to blink up to 4 times or chime up to 4 times before letting go of the keys.

Resetting the SMC also can be done with these procedures based on the machine's age:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Make sure of course:

1. There has been no liquid or food damage to the machine.
  2. There has been no overstretching of the hinge of the display
  3. There is no visible damage of any of the cables of the power adapter.
  4. A lamp can be powered by the same outlet you are plugging the computer into.
  5. The power adapter is the correct one for your Mac model.
  6. there is no shrinkwrap plastic on the power adapter brick or plug. These can cause the power adapter to overheat.

Mar 18, 2022 10:45 PM in response to maxandchris

So.... Posting this from the originally bricked MacBook. The issue was as indicated - upgrading to 12.3 bricked this mac that had had a logic board replacement a few months ago. Downloading the .ipsw file for 12.2.1 for this machine and reviving it via configurator2 has resurrected my machine with no data loss! I can live with 12.2.1 and no universal control until Apple comes up with a fix for this issue. :)

Mar 17, 2022 7:53 PM in response to maxandchris

My M1 MacBook Pro 14" also fails to update to 12.3. This is after having the logic board replaced on the 16th of March to fix the HDMI output from dropping out (which is still dropping out). But no issues with locking up it just restarts with 12.2.1.

Apple case office helping but looks like major engineering software issue that can't be solved by replacing parts.

Apr 14, 2022 4:57 AM in response to a brody

Thanks for the hints. But the MacBook is only a few months old and Apple need to provide a solution which still seems to elude them.

My reason for posting is to share my experience with the M1 MacBook and Apple support. Unfortunately after 28 years of using exclusively apple computers, phone and other devices. The MacBook M1 is a real let down to the Apple reputation for quality and reliable products. This is why most of use stick with Apple and don’t mind paying a premium.

The customer support is the most frustrating aspect of this story I have nowhere to go to get to an acceptable resolution within Apple. MacBook out of service for over 3 weeks now.

May 9, 2022 3:57 AM in response to MarkCampbe11

Finally some progress a new macbook is on its way. However this result only came about by returning the faulty MacBook to a Apple store 4000 Km away from home personally whilst on a business trip. The Apple store was very helpful and efficient.

Why couldn't the Apple online support team provide the same level of service? (Apple please respond) Noting by the time I get the new Macbook in another 2 weeks that will total 10 weeks with a non operational MacBook.

Monterey 12.3 update bricked my M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.