Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have reset and restored my iPhone6. The previous owner cannot remember the Apple ID or pw. I thought restoring it to factory would clear this requirement, and let me set it up as a new phone. Apparently not. Any suggestions?

How can I get Apple to release this iPhone6?

My granddaughter is the original owner, her father got this for her. She has no idea what id she used to set it up. Her father does not have a bill of sale from 'how many years ago'?

I have done a factory reset, but the blasted phone still wants the Apple id and password.

Is the phone now totally useless?

iPhone 6

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 5:13 PM

Unless she can remember the Apple ID and password and sign out, the phone is useless. Apple won't remove the ID without a purchase receipt.

See if she can recover the ID/password. Use every email address she can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple  -  An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID.

Apple ID - Find  -       

If she forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if she can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage  -     

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2022 5:13 PM in response to Dundee88

Unless she can remember the Apple ID and password and sign out, the phone is useless. Apple won't remove the ID without a purchase receipt.

See if she can recover the ID/password. Use every email address she can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple  -  An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID.

Apple ID - Find  -       

If she forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if she can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage  -     

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

I have reset and restored my iPhone6. The previous owner cannot remember the Apple ID or pw. I thought restoring it to factory would clear this requirement, and let me set it up as a new phone. Apparently not. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.