Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete photo from desktop on monterey

A few days ago, when my MacBook Pro with Monterey 12.2.1 on it added a picture that was open at the time in preview to the three photos that change every 30 minutes.

I went to System preferences/Desktop & screen saver to delete it, and the "-" option is grayed out. I've tried highlighting and dragging to trash, delete key, etc. There are no options right-click options. I have tried shut down and open, etc.

How do I delete that extra picture (actually a graph) that I don't want to see?

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 11:12 AM

Hello there RLWidman,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

It looks like you may be in the wrong place to edit the photos you've set there. In the System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Desktop section, what you see in the left column are actually folders on your Mac. You'll need to locate that folder in Finder and then remove the photo from that specific folder in the Finder instead.

More about this is explained here: Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac

Add a folder of your own images 
To add a folder of your own images, click the add button (+) below the list of folders, then choose the folder that contains your images.

For best results, choose images that are stored on your startup disc. Images stored on a different disc may not load reliably after restarting your Mac, depending on how quickly the other disc becomes available after startup. 

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 11:12 AM in response to RLWidman

Hello there RLWidman,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

It looks like you may be in the wrong place to edit the photos you've set there. In the System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Desktop section, what you see in the left column are actually folders on your Mac. You'll need to locate that folder in Finder and then remove the photo from that specific folder in the Finder instead.

More about this is explained here: Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac

Add a folder of your own images 
To add a folder of your own images, click the add button (+) below the list of folders, then choose the folder that contains your images.

For best results, choose images that are stored on your startup disc. Images stored on a different disc may not load reliably after restarting your Mac, depending on how quickly the other disc becomes available after startup. 

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

delete photo from desktop on monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.