Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in to iMessage or FaceTime on MacBook after OS update

I can't sign into iMessage or Facetime after updated to Monterey 12.3

I have restarted many times, no help. All my other devices are working. I looks like I am signed into Apple ID on this machine when I look in system preferences.

When I try to sign into iMessage it just says "An unknown error has occurred"

Don't know what to do here...

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 12:54 PM

If you cannot sign in to iMessage or Face Time on a Mac:

• Verify that your Mac has a functional Internet connection.
  • Check if iMessage servers are encountering issues. Ref: Apple - Support - System Status
  • Install all macOS updates. (Although it appears that you have already done this.)
  • Check date and time on your Mac to make sure it is accurate.
  • Verify you’re using the correct Apple ID. I know it sounds obvious, but you should double-check.
  • Reset NVRAM. Ref:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  • Third party software - Some non-Apple products such as firewall, VPN, or antivirus may block certain domains or even ports use by Apple services to make sure this is not the case. If you have one of these products, try to disable them one by one to narrow down possible causes.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2022 12:54 PM in response to 143ooo

If you cannot sign in to iMessage or Face Time on a Mac:

• Verify that your Mac has a functional Internet connection.
  • Check if iMessage servers are encountering issues. Ref: Apple - Support - System Status
  • Install all macOS updates. (Although it appears that you have already done this.)
  • Check date and time on your Mac to make sure it is accurate.
  • Verify you’re using the correct Apple ID. I know it sounds obvious, but you should double-check.
  • Reset NVRAM. Ref:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  • Third party software - Some non-Apple products such as firewall, VPN, or antivirus may block certain domains or even ports use by Apple services to make sure this is not the case. If you have one of these products, try to disable them one by one to narrow down possible causes.

Can't sign in to iMessage or FaceTime on MacBook after OS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.