Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 12.3 can't open dock icons

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 9:23 AM

Mark Scott wrote:

Reboot the machine and test.

If no resolve try a safeboot

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 9:23 AM in response to Mark Scott

Mark Scott wrote:

Reboot the machine and test.

If no resolve try a safeboot

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Mar 28, 2022 6:50 AM in response to leroydouglas

I'm having same problem with MacOS 12.3. Can not launch dock icons. Have tried all the suggestions and find that after restarting a couple time, it may or may not work. With the dock apps not working 90% of the time and the major problem with the system losing smart object links in Photoshop, Im sending more time making the system work than my projects....

Work around for dock icons not working.... just make "aliases" for most used apps, lined up close to dock icons.

Please Apple resolve these asap. Thanks!

Mar 21, 2022 4:34 PM in response to leroydouglas

I tried the SafeBoot and was able to launch the icons in the dock.

I restarted the machine and now clicking on the icons in the dock worked and now activate the launch of the application.

I rebooted a second time and I was back to the same problem of not having dock icons launch.

I added a Guest user to my Users & Groups and the Guest account seems to work well icons launched from fixed dock.

I shutdown and have rebooted several times when my menu bar locks up along with the dock btw I normally use Hide Dock and Menu bar check box in Dock&Menu settings. Very strange, I have rebooted several times into my account and both the dock and menu bar are seeming to work. WHY ? Truly THANKS for all your help! !

Mar 21, 2022 4:59 PM in response to Mark Scott

I just rebooted again and Dock launching does not work again now along with menu bar not showing up I had turned back on the autohide function of both menu and dock. I just rebooted and went back to keeping both the menu and the dock bar showing and now I am able to use the Dock to launch and the menu bar functions seem to work. I have a laptop with similar issues running Montery and these issues arrived with the first version 12.1 and now running 12.3 on the imac27" 2017 and the MBP 15" 2016. I just had the menu bar highlight on the 27"iMac lock up and then unlock and am able to use.

Mar 30, 2022 1:02 AM in response to Mark Scott

You apparently have been upgrading in place for many years and across different macs. While that is quite convenient, over time you accumulate old extensions and daemons. At some point, old stuff can break. You have stuff from as far back as Mountain Lion.

Do a full backup, preferably two.

Erase and install, then migrate ONLY the user accounts. Install your applications fresh from the App Store or their developers websites. You will find that your mac will perform as it should.

Note: if you feel this is something you are not ready for, install on sn external SSD first and test.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.