Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invisible icons on dock

MacOs 11.2.3 Macbook Air M1

What can I do...? The icons work, I can remove or use, only don't show the pictures...

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 10:35 AM

Yes, you do have an odd situation. I suggest doing a restart in the Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift key at startup. This clears a lot of strange problems. Be patient. It can take up to ten minutes. During the process the OS is clearing its caches, doing various repairs and resetting things. Then look to see if everything is normal or not. Then restart normally and see what you have.

Some further trouble shooting thoughts: Just to clarify, have you tried moving the "offending" icons to the trash and then emptying it? Then, next, dragging the original icon from the applications Folder to the Dock to create a new alias there. You say that you can move the "offending" icons around and open them. When they are moved are they still invisible or is the invisibility only applied to certain locations on the Dock? You might also mention which apps this problem applies to. Last, one thought is that the apps themselves may have somehow become corrupted. If so, reinstalling the apps may resolve the problem.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 10:35 AM in response to MaatHotep

Yes, you do have an odd situation. I suggest doing a restart in the Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift key at startup. This clears a lot of strange problems. Be patient. It can take up to ten minutes. During the process the OS is clearing its caches, doing various repairs and resetting things. Then look to see if everything is normal or not. Then restart normally and see what you have.

Some further trouble shooting thoughts: Just to clarify, have you tried moving the "offending" icons to the trash and then emptying it? Then, next, dragging the original icon from the applications Folder to the Dock to create a new alias there. You say that you can move the "offending" icons around and open them. When they are moved are they still invisible or is the invisibility only applied to certain locations on the Dock? You might also mention which apps this problem applies to. Last, one thought is that the apps themselves may have somehow become corrupted. If so, reinstalling the apps may resolve the problem.

Invisible icons on dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.