Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restored to default cannot reinstall MacOS

I restored my Macbook Air to default and I’m now trying to reinstall MacOS. (Default was MacOS Sierra).

While trying to install I received and error message and that I should try again. After many attempts I accidentally deleted Macintosh HD from utility trying to figure out the problem.

How do I recover Macintosh HD and how do install MacOS without getting the error?

So desperate!

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 11:00 AM

Did you erase it yet?

Here's how to do it.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and Command and R.
  3. You may be prompted to select a user and log in with the password for that account.
  4. From here, you'll be presented with a utilities window. Select Disk Utility.
  5. Select Macintosh HD from the sidebar.
  6. Click Erase and input a new name and format. For simplicity's sake, you can leave both to Macintosh HD and APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  7. Next, click Erase Volume group. If that isn't an option, click Erase.
  8. If you have Find My enabled, you'll be prompted to deactivate it with your Apple ID and password.
  9. You may want to delete any other internal volumes besides Macintosh HD. Just click the minus icon next to each volume.
  10. Finally, quit Disk Utility

Now that your disk has been erased, you can select Reinstall macOS (Version Name) from the utilities window.

Once macOS finishes installing, you'll likely be faced with a setup assistant. It's at this point that you should shut down your Mac and leave the setup process to whomever is receiving it.

Mac OS Extended (Journaled is needed for Sierra, APFS won't work.

How to erase and prepare a Mac for gifting, recycling, or selling | AppleInsider

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 11:00 AM in response to Sonz01

Did you erase it yet?

Here's how to do it.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and Command and R.
  3. You may be prompted to select a user and log in with the password for that account.
  4. From here, you'll be presented with a utilities window. Select Disk Utility.
  5. Select Macintosh HD from the sidebar.
  6. Click Erase and input a new name and format. For simplicity's sake, you can leave both to Macintosh HD and APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
  7. Next, click Erase Volume group. If that isn't an option, click Erase.
  8. If you have Find My enabled, you'll be prompted to deactivate it with your Apple ID and password.
  9. You may want to delete any other internal volumes besides Macintosh HD. Just click the minus icon next to each volume.
  10. Finally, quit Disk Utility

Now that your disk has been erased, you can select Reinstall macOS (Version Name) from the utilities window.

Once macOS finishes installing, you'll likely be faced with a setup assistant. It's at this point that you should shut down your Mac and leave the setup process to whomever is receiving it.

Mac OS Extended (Journaled is needed for Sierra, APFS won't work.

How to erase and prepare a Mac for gifting, recycling, or selling | AppleInsider

Restored to default cannot reinstall MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.