Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown invisible icon in menu bar

I've been noticing an invisible icon in my menu bar & I'd like to find what it is.

Clicking on the icon gives a shadow, and Command+Drag allows me to move it in between other items or throw it out, but I don't want that since I need to know what it is to remove it. Also, right clicking on it does nothing.

I tried the solution in this Apple Support ticket (Unknown Icon in Menu Bar - Apple Community) , but it only showed Siri (which is unhelpful).

I was wondering if there's a way to know what it is and delete the app, since it can be harmful/malicious.

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 2:50 AM

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue.

If the issue persist - report back.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 2:50 AM in response to ahmadfuad3

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue.

If the issue persist - report back.

Unknown invisible icon in menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.