Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tethering using iPhone hotspot

I do not have wifi connection at a remote location but do have 5G service. When connecting my iPhone to the internet using Speedtest, my download speed is about 100Mbps. When I connect my MacBook Pro to the iPhone hotspot (by direct cable, USB or by WiFi), Speedtest reports my MacBook download speed as 0.5 Mbps! It is admissibly slow. I've turned off all background app refreshing on the iPhone and reset network settings. Any ideas are appreciated.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 12:25 PM

gtuck wrote:

Thank you.....that is exactly the issue. Just got off the phone with T-Mobile. Too expensive to upgrade the plan to allow tethering. Unlimited data on our phones but severely limited when tethered to my MacBook. I could get a separate cable internet connection here for the same price without the data and speed limitations.

Your hands are tied—

The cell provider service dictates if the tethered machine is throttled down— in your case it is pitiful.

most "unlimited" has some caveats...

I am in the remote country side, my total internet on Mac is dependent on Hot Spot from my iPhone

I switched form Verizon to its little brother service "Visible" — it is much more cost effective with better options, unlimited everything including data— I pay $25.00/mo USD

You are always better off if you have an option for a cable service.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 12:25 PM in response to gtuck

gtuck wrote:

Thank you.....that is exactly the issue. Just got off the phone with T-Mobile. Too expensive to upgrade the plan to allow tethering. Unlimited data on our phones but severely limited when tethered to my MacBook. I could get a separate cable internet connection here for the same price without the data and speed limitations.

Your hands are tied—

The cell provider service dictates if the tethered machine is throttled down— in your case it is pitiful.

most "unlimited" has some caveats...

I am in the remote country side, my total internet on Mac is dependent on Hot Spot from my iPhone

I switched form Verizon to its little brother service "Visible" — it is much more cost effective with better options, unlimited everything including data— I pay $25.00/mo USD

You are always better off if you have an option for a cable service.

Tethering using iPhone hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.