Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

virus protection on mac

do i need to install a virus protection on my macbook air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 11:52 AM

heloisa224 wrote:

No.

You already have anti-malware installed. It’s built in.

For more info on avoiding problems: Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Viruses were a thing a decade or two ago over on Microsoft Windows, but folks using macOS nowadays are more often getting in trouble with password re-use, and with phishing, or the folks are reading and decide to believe the advertisements offering adware or other junk apps. And more than a little of the junk around claims to be a “security” tool or a “cleaner” or a “VPN privacy” service—and more than a little of that is unnecessary or problematic.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 11:52 AM in response to heloisa224

heloisa224 wrote:

No.

You already have anti-malware installed. It’s built in.

For more info on avoiding problems: Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Viruses were a thing a decade or two ago over on Microsoft Windows, but folks using macOS nowadays are more often getting in trouble with password re-use, and with phishing, or the folks are reading and decide to believe the advertisements offering adware or other junk apps. And more than a little of the junk around claims to be a “security” tool or a “cleaner” or a “VPN privacy” service—and more than a little of that is unnecessary or problematic.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Mar 19, 2022 1:33 PM in response to heloisa224

heloisa224 wrote:

i thought that was the case but I started to receive alerts /pop ups on Google Chrome that my mac had viruses. Just wanted to make sure. I went to Preferences to verify everything, extensions, reading list, etc, and found the source and trashed it.

Those pop-ups are common advertisements. Phishing, as it’s known. Remote websites cannot scan your Mac. Scanning for malware requires extremely deep access into your Mac file system and system context. If remote websites could scan, they’d not need to post up these advertisements and would just upload and steal all of your data and just be gone with it.

virus protection on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.