Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th generation iPad

My device loses it's charge much faster than it used to. It seems to need to be charged almost twice a day.

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 2:03 PM

Since we're now on the 9th generation iPad, it's more than likely the battery in your iPad is simply declining. Every time you charge your battery, its battery health declines little by little.

If you don't feel its time to invest in a new iPad, you can schedule battery service on your device. I don't believe they actually replace the battery in the iPad itself, instead opting to give you a refurbished replacement device with a brand new battery in it.

See this link and scan down to battery repair section and see Apple will charge you $99 for this service --> iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

If it were me, I'd trade the iPad in for a newer model. It wouldn't be at all surprising to find your device is no longer going to get iPadOS updates with the next iPad release. But you decide what's right for you.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2022 2:03 PM in response to marjane257

Since we're now on the 9th generation iPad, it's more than likely the battery in your iPad is simply declining. Every time you charge your battery, its battery health declines little by little.

If you don't feel its time to invest in a new iPad, you can schedule battery service on your device. I don't believe they actually replace the battery in the iPad itself, instead opting to give you a refurbished replacement device with a brand new battery in it.

See this link and scan down to battery repair section and see Apple will charge you $99 for this service --> iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

If it were me, I'd trade the iPad in for a newer model. It wouldn't be at all surprising to find your device is no longer going to get iPadOS updates with the next iPad release. But you decide what's right for you.

Mar 21, 2022 10:42 AM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1 wrote:

You're welcome. I use my iPad Pro every day. I tend to upgrade iPad's on a 4 year cycle, so when the iPad Pro 2022 comes out sometime this year, I'll be upgrading. If you can swing the cost, the new iPad Air 5 released just yesterday, offers amazing performance.

That is exact;y what I'll be doing this year, hopefully, My iPad Pro will be 7-years old, this year, in 2022.

I attempted to order the 11 inch 2021 iPad Pro, ( 512 GBs with WiFi and cellular ) last year, but kept running into shipping delays, so, I just cancelled my order at some point.

I will wait this year to see what this years's iPad Pro will get for new features.

Hopefully, shipping times will be better with less long delays. Hopefully.

Mar 21, 2022 10:50 AM in response to MichelPM

My husbands iPad Pro 11 is having some battery issues, so I ordered him the new iPad Air 5, which will arrive this week. I'll say with the Pro 11, whatever it offers more this year. I had read some rumors it would get the Micro LED screen of the 12.9 Pro, but then saw recently it may not. I don't have any issues with the screen as it is on my 11 Pro, so it won't make much difference. I would expect to get a performance improvement if it gets the the M2 chip which it might. If it doesn't, the Air 5 is offering amazing performance for less money.

I just wish I knew when we might see or hear anything about the next Pro models??

Mar 21, 2022 11:03 AM in response to lobsterghost1

i need/want either 512 GBs or 1 TB of internal data storqge, now, on my iPad.

So, the iPad Air 5 will not work for my needs.

I save a WHOLE LOTTA stuff on my iPad Pro, now.

I have about 80 GBs left out of 256 GBs. (238 GBs of actual, usable internal data storsge space after formatting and iPadOS ).

I pretty much use my iPad Pro like I use my Mac and my Mac has LOTS of stuff on it, as well!

The 12.9 inch iPad Pros are too pricey, now. So, I will have to downgrade the screen size to the 11 inch screen model.

Kinda bummed about that as I am very much used to the 12.9 inch screen after all of these years.

The plus to the smaller screen will be the iPad will be lighter and much easier to handle and hold.

Mar 21, 2022 11:09 AM in response to MichelPM

All my heavy computing needs are on my very nice 1TB HP Spectre laptop, so 256gb is plenty of space for me on an iPad or iPhone. Have always been on the 11" iPad Pro (since 2018, that is) and have been using the Magic Keyboard for a couple years now and wouldn't want to have to buy a new, so will stay with the 11" screen size, which meets my needs.

5th generation iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.