Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a template to apply an overshoot effect to any image?

I'm working in Final Cut Pro 10 and Motion. Within Final Cut I am able to animate a simple image 'slide in' effect by using keyframes to start with an image off screen and move it to the desired coordinate on screen. Because of the greater range of animation options available in Motion I would like to pre-construct this effect in that software as a drag and drop 'effect,' but when I apply the effect to an image in my timeline the boundaries of the 'slide in' movement are limited to the size of the image I am applying it to rather than affecting the image itself and using my project size as the boundary.

As I am attempting to apply this effect to a large range of different images in a single video it is necessary to not require a pre-selected image to have the animation apply too.

How might I create a template to apply this 'slide in' effect to any image rather than pre-rendering an animation with each image I want to use?

Posted on Mar 19, 2022 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 10:40 AM

Ok, I see your point. My previous example suffered from the same issue.

One easy way to avoid this problem is to first select the image in the timeline, press Option-G to make a compound clip; then apply the Overshoot effect to the compound, instead of the image.

This works because the frame size of the compound equals the frame size of the project.

I added a "Curtain" generator in the background to help demonstrate that this is working:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 10:40 AM in response to ventrategma

Ok, I see your point. My previous example suffered from the same issue.

One easy way to avoid this problem is to first select the image in the timeline, press Option-G to make a compound clip; then apply the Overshoot effect to the compound, instead of the image.

This works because the frame size of the compound equals the frame size of the project.

I added a "Curtain" generator in the background to help demonstrate that this is working:

Mar 20, 2022 9:58 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for the reply. I was able to get that far, thanks for your help, but I'm still having an issue with the boundary. I was able to implement the overshoot as an effect but the effect seems to only be applying to the image within its own original footprint so to speak, rather than to the image but using the project size as the boundary for the effect.

How do I create a template to apply an overshoot effect to any image?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.