You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from old to new Mac - March 2022

I’m awaiting delivery of a new (2020) MacBook Air to replace my current (2015) Air, running Catalina OS. I’m concerned about migrating everything across OK & the best means to achieve this. I’ve read various commentary on this matter, but I’d appreciate hearing from people with first-hand experience of what has worked successfully for them.

- e.g. Migration Assistant from old Mac to new Mac or Setup Assistant from Time Machine on external drive to new Mac. Which is best?

- Should any particular files not be migrated?

- Will MS Office files be included & accessible on new Mac OK, especially Outlook email?

- Also, any tips & potential hiccups to be aware of, etc?

Much obliged,

jprjones

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 2:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 3:59 AM

Setup Assistant from Time Machine on external drive to new Mac.

You seem to have a good understanding of the options. I always use Setup Assistant and, when prompted, use a Time Machine backup to "restore" the data to the new Mac. Don't use Wi-Fi; it is too slow for the large amount of data.

Will MS Office files be included & accessible on new Mac OK, especially Outlook email?

Office, as with all the other applications, will be restored to your new Mac. You might have to go into your Microsoft account to activate the software on your new Mac, although I found activation worked by using one of the applications in the suite to sign into my MS365 account.

Also, any tips & potential hiccups to be aware of, etc?

Some experienced users here have the practice, which I follow, of creating a new Time Machine backup for a new Mac. This is best done with a new external drive (thus setting the use of the drive back to zero) and keeping the old one initially as a fall-back but ultimately for use elsewhere. I've sometimes found too that even when I tried to migrate the old backups to a new Mac that the new Mac would fail to continue with the old backups and I had no option but to erase the drive and start Time Machine all over again.

The basic message is let Setup Assistant do it's work and don't interrupt it. Your new Mac will start up as a copy of your old Mac. Then, remember to follow the steps in Apple's support document What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2022 3:59 AM in response to jprjones

Setup Assistant from Time Machine on external drive to new Mac.

You seem to have a good understanding of the options. I always use Setup Assistant and, when prompted, use a Time Machine backup to "restore" the data to the new Mac. Don't use Wi-Fi; it is too slow for the large amount of data.

Will MS Office files be included & accessible on new Mac OK, especially Outlook email?

Office, as with all the other applications, will be restored to your new Mac. You might have to go into your Microsoft account to activate the software on your new Mac, although I found activation worked by using one of the applications in the suite to sign into my MS365 account.

Also, any tips & potential hiccups to be aware of, etc?

Some experienced users here have the practice, which I follow, of creating a new Time Machine backup for a new Mac. This is best done with a new external drive (thus setting the use of the drive back to zero) and keeping the old one initially as a fall-back but ultimately for use elsewhere. I've sometimes found too that even when I tried to migrate the old backups to a new Mac that the new Mac would fail to continue with the old backups and I had no option but to erase the drive and start Time Machine all over again.

The basic message is let Setup Assistant do it's work and don't interrupt it. Your new Mac will start up as a copy of your old Mac. Then, remember to follow the steps in Apple's support document What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

Mar 31, 2022 5:00 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks David & P Phillips for your guidance. I just wanted to report back that I'm now a very happy camper, having successfully migrated all my files, settings, apps, etc, from my old MacBook Air (2015) Catalina to my new MacBook Air M1 (2020) Monterey, via Time Machine. Items of note:

• Migration Assistant using Time Machine was easy, whereby I simply ticked to migrate everything, no exclusions.
  • Everything set-up as a complete carbon copy of my old MacAir.
  • Old apps didn't overwrite new apps.
  • Only a few old 3rd party apps didn't work on my new MacAir, so I deleted & re-downloaded new ones or downloaded Rossetta to function. No problems though.
  • All MS365 Office suite apps opened by simply re-signing into my MS365 account when prompted to, upon first opening a file.
  • Importantly, my Outlook emails copied across completely, including all folders/subfolders, contacts, calendar, etc, including all correct date history. This was my primary concern so I was very relieved to find my emails intact.

Anyway, I hope this summary may help a few others going through similar migration anxiety.

Cheers jprjones 😀

Mar 20, 2022 4:31 AM in response to David McKinlay

Many thanks David for your quick & most helpful advice. A couple of clarifications if I may:

1. Should I cable connect my external drive with Time Machine to my new MacBook Air before I power it up for the first time?
  2. Are you saying all my Office Apps will be copied across & my Outlook email will present as a carbon copy of my current Inbox, including all folders & subfolders? Have you experienced this yourself?

Mar 20, 2022 4:43 AM in response to jprjones

1. Wait for the prompt by Setup Assistant before inserting the cable. You will be asked if you want to move data to you Mac with a Time Machine backup and told to put the cable. You might need a USB to USB-C adapter by the way if your old Mac (and therefore the external drive cable into it) does not have USB-C.
  2. All data and apps will be copied. I don't use Outlook but Mac Mail's mailbox structure is a photocopy of Mail on the old Mac. Everything will be the same as your old Mac.

Mar 20, 2022 7:14 AM in response to David McKinlay

Thanks David. Seems I should be OK with the Setup Assistant from Time Machine approach.

However, as you don't use Outlook for Mac yourself, I'd still like to hear from someone that does & has been through the migration process successfully. Historically, there have always been hurdles between MS & Apple, so I remain unconvinced unless I can be assured of a proven solution. i.e. I've been burnt before! 😉

Cheers jprjones

Mar 20, 2022 7:34 AM in response to jprjones

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Apr 4, 2022 1:25 AM in response to PRP_53

Postscript: The only significant problem was my printer/scanner wouldn't scan. Printing was fine, but Image Capture wouldn't recognise the scanning function...displaying the infamous error #21345.

I noted there are hundreds of blogs complaining of the same issue across multiple printer/scanner brands since Big Sur, thinking it was a MacOS glitch. However, it seems to be more of a compatability issue than a bug.

Once I found & updated the scanner drivers for my Canon printer/scanner, all was well. ✔️

Now the only annoyance is Preview greying-out "Save as PDF" function from the Print option. This was handy for saving password protected files as non-password files, e.g. bank statements, etc. The workaround is to open the pdf in Safari & save from there, but why on earth has this Preview function been messed with in Monterey? 🤔

Cheers jprjones

Migrating from old to new Mac - March 2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.