Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Rename" is missing from Bluetooth Dropdown Menu

In my Bluetooth Devices drop down menu, the option "Rename" is missing. How can I add that? Thanks.

(MacOS Monterey 12.3)

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 1:53 PM

1. Click on Bluetooth icon in Mac menu bar.
  2. Scroll down to Bluetooth Preferences. (Click on ... It opens a new window)
  3. Scroll down to the Bluetooth device you want to rename.
  4. Single click on that Bluetooth device to highlight it. (Blue on my Mac)
  5. Then TWO finger click on same highlighted device. (I am using trackpad)
  6. This will give you three choices assuming it is a connected device: RENAME, DISCONNECT or REMOVE.
  7. The device has to be connected to get the RENAME option. Otherwise it will say CONNECT or REMOVE.

If anyone knows where FACTORY RESET of a Bluetooth Device went in Monterey ... Chime in please.

I am not talking command line stuff to reset the Bluetooth Module on the computer itself.

Just want to clear the Bluetooth device to give away.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 1:53 PM in response to snailspace1

1. Click on Bluetooth icon in Mac menu bar.
  2. Scroll down to Bluetooth Preferences. (Click on ... It opens a new window)
  3. Scroll down to the Bluetooth device you want to rename.
  4. Single click on that Bluetooth device to highlight it. (Blue on my Mac)
  5. Then TWO finger click on same highlighted device. (I am using trackpad)
  6. This will give you three choices assuming it is a connected device: RENAME, DISCONNECT or REMOVE.
  7. The device has to be connected to get the RENAME option. Otherwise it will say CONNECT or REMOVE.

If anyone knows where FACTORY RESET of a Bluetooth Device went in Monterey ... Chime in please.

I am not talking command line stuff to reset the Bluetooth Module on the computer itself.

Just want to clear the Bluetooth device to give away.

Apr 9, 2022 6:09 AM in response to SkyKing787

Thank you for this info. I cannot connect the device that I want to rename because it is in my condo in FL and I am in MA; therefore, apparently, I cannot rename the device at this time. But I had no idea of the reason I could not see the Rename choice in the dropdown menu, and you have explained that to me, so when I get down to FL I will then know how to rename the item in question. Much appreciated.

"Rename" is missing from Bluetooth Dropdown Menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.