Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

setting up new I pad for sister-in-law

Can I set up my sister-in-laws new iPad using my iPhone number or do I have to use her phone number. She lives in Texas and I'm in Georgia. The new ipad is suppose to be a surprise for her and her husband wants me to get it all set up before she gets it.

iPad Air, iOS 11

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 9:24 AM

iPad doesn't use a phone number as it's not a cell phone and doesn't have a cellular radio like an iPhone.

Does your sister in law own an iPhone? It should be set up with her Apple ID she uses on her iPhone. I understand her husband wants it set up before she gets it, but unless you know important things like her Apple ID, etc., you are actually setting her up for more work after she gets the iPad. If they don't think they can set up the iPad themselves, tell them to go their Apple Store for help when they get the device. It will save them a lot of angst, tbh.

Here is a link about setting up a new iPad, but I truly wouldn't do it --> Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 9:24 AM in response to BigBuddah

iPad doesn't use a phone number as it's not a cell phone and doesn't have a cellular radio like an iPhone.

Does your sister in law own an iPhone? It should be set up with her Apple ID she uses on her iPhone. I understand her husband wants it set up before she gets it, but unless you know important things like her Apple ID, etc., you are actually setting her up for more work after she gets the iPad. If they don't think they can set up the iPad themselves, tell them to go their Apple Store for help when they get the device. It will save them a lot of angst, tbh.

Here is a link about setting up a new iPad, but I truly wouldn't do it --> Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 20, 2022 9:22 AM in response to BigBuddah

Use her phone number. But really just send it new and not set up. She might feel you don’t think she is smart enough to learn.

I would let her set-up her own new iPad. That way she learns as she goes along using it.

Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

In iBooks app she can get both free or at cost user guides.

Good-luck!

Mar 20, 2022 12:55 PM in response to Halliday

I wouldn't be doing you a favor to not point out the disadvantages. I would bet after getting the new iPad, your SIL will naturally see the benefit of moving over to iPhone.

Share this link with here so she can see all the things she can do once she does --> Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Mar 20, 2022 12:14 PM in response to BigBuddah

Your friend really should get a Samsung tablet, not an iPad. Or your friend should get an iPhone to accompany her new iPad. There are many features which would be so much better on an iPad tied to an iPhone. She won't be able to share apps from her Samsung phone to her iPad. She won't be able to make or receive phone calls on her iPad without an iPhone. Those are just two things which make this not the best combination.

Mar 20, 2022 12:42 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I understand where you’re coming from, lobsterghost1.

However, I’ve had iPads for over a Decade before obtaining an iPhone (my daughter bought me one just a couple of months ago).

I have been quite happy with all my iPads, even though they could share no Apps with my (less than) smart phones (including a couple before getting an Android phone). I simply use them for different purposes.

Of course, I have been happiest, with any phone (even compared to a Samsung I was lent for about a year), with my iPhone 11, now. (Yes, it was nice to be able to answer my iPhone, from across the room, without getting up, but I have usually had my phones nearby, so there has been no such need, before.)

setting up new I pad for sister-in-law

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.