Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to change the Configure Proxy Access to the Internet

I'm having trouble logging into a couple of sites after a recent upgrade to Firefox, but they work in Safari. I don't want to change browsers if I don't have to.

I put the question to the Mozilla community and had only one reply - to go to Network Settings and change the Configure Proxy Access to the Internet to No Proxy.

I am not a tech savvy person. Is it safe to try this?

MacBook Air 2015, Monterey 12.3

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 9:54 AM

A "proxy" is an agent that takes your Internet requests and sends them to their destination on your behalf. In turn, it receives the responses to these requests before forwarding them to your computer. With networking, a proxy is a physical device, typically a server, that performs this function and is commonly used in business/educational settings. They are not common for typical consumer use to gain access to the Internet.

Another way to look at this is if your Mac is currently configured to use a proxy, and you don't know why, may be more of a security issue than just using one.

As BobTheFisherman has eluded to, are you having this issue at a workplace or somewhere outside of your home?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2022 9:54 AM in response to jlw71

A "proxy" is an agent that takes your Internet requests and sends them to their destination on your behalf. In turn, it receives the responses to these requests before forwarding them to your computer. With networking, a proxy is a physical device, typically a server, that performs this function and is commonly used in business/educational settings. They are not common for typical consumer use to gain access to the Internet.

Another way to look at this is if your Mac is currently configured to use a proxy, and you don't know why, may be more of a security issue than just using one.

As BobTheFisherman has eluded to, are you having this issue at a workplace or somewhere outside of your home?

Mar 20, 2022 11:57 AM in response to Tesserax

I'm embarrassed to say I never even went to Network settings to find Configure Proxy Access before I came here. I didn't find those exact words, but under proxies it looks like I have none anyway - see attached.

So I set Firefox settings to No Proxy from Use network proxy settings - there's no change in logging in to those 2 sites (one banking and one medical). So changing to Safari will just take some adjustment - no big hardship.

Thanks again!

Mar 20, 2022 11:24 AM in response to jlw71

Then, as we both mentioned, you do not need to configure a proxy for your home network in order to access the Internet. Having this proxy enabled, is potentially why you having issues using Firefox as this is one place that you would configure them. The other location would be System Preferences > Network. However, since you are not having any issues with Safari, tends to make me believe the issue is with a setting in the Firefox browser.

Sorry, I don't use Firefox, so I can't tell you exactly where to look in that browser's setting to disable using a proxy.

Is it safe to change the Configure Proxy Access to the Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.