Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost photos face recognition after iPhone upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded from iPhone 10 Max to iPhone 13 Pro. I set the new iPhone up using iCloud back up. The issue is that now all my photos have lost their face recognition (I now cant search for people in photos).

I now have 64k+ photos to rescan and I've seen no progress in that number in 2 days. It just says connect to power and lock the phone....but then there is no change by the morning. Why doesn't it start working immediately and why were all the faces lost in the first place? Also, the faces are all saved on my Macbook Pro still so why on earth does the iPhone need to rescan? Can't the Macbook Pro not just share that info across?

I'd appreciate help if it can solve this problem. Thanks.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 5:02 AM

Alex, after a system upgrade the algorithm for the face detection and face recognition may have changed, and then Photos will scan all photos and videos again for a better recognition. After the scan it will compare the old faces to the new detected faces and you should find most named faces again after a while.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 5:02 AM in response to AlexR-S

Alex, after a system upgrade the algorithm for the face detection and face recognition may have changed, and then Photos will scan all photos and videos again for a better recognition. After the scan it will compare the old faces to the new detected faces and you should find most named faces again after a while.

Lost photos face recognition after iPhone upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.