Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps not working on MacPro 2013 2 x Apple Thunderbolt displays

MacOS 12.3. I had a blank black screen. I then deleted /Users/ronfrew/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompapers.plist and restarted. I have the map and grid with road and directions now.

Look forward to your help

Ron, no other landmarks. When I select satellite image the map is black but shows the road direction. NB Apple Maps works on my iPhone and MacBook Pro 16"

Mac Pro, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 1:43 PM

9 replies

Mar 22, 2022 6:40 AM in response to two botts

two botts,

If you're unable to reproduce the issue within a test user, this generally means there are settings or files in the original account causing this. Since the behavior is isolated to Maps, we'd recommend checking the preferences for the app.

"In the Maps app  on your Mac, choose Maps > Preferences, then click a preference pane.

• General: Change the appearance of your maps—for example, you can include weather and air quality information, and a compass.
  • Route Planner: Change how you want to get around while driving, while cycling, or taking transit."

Find more information in Change preferences in Maps on Mac

After reviewing your preferences, if you continue to experience issues, we'd recommend connecting with Apple Support here: Get Support

Kind regards.

Mar 23, 2022 8:21 PM in response to Drew_7

Hi

Problem solved by Apple Support. Very professional.

Basically went to "Go To Folder" ~Library and created folders for Caches (caches.OLD), LaunchDemons (LaunchDemons.OLD) and emptied the parent folders into the new folders and deleted the files in the parent folders. Then did a restart and Maps is working again. This was a great experience with some great helpers, appreciated very much. Thanks again all

Ron

Mar 21, 2022 11:33 AM in response to two botts

Hello two botts,

Based on the issue you're experiencing with Maps, we recommend testing the behavior in safe mode. You can find steps for this process here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

We recommend safe mode as Maps is a default part of macOS. If the behavior persists in safe mode, try in a new user where settings and files are default. Here's how to set up a test user: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Regards.

Mar 22, 2022 3:01 PM in response to two botts

If it works in the new user and not in your account you may have software in your primary account that is interfering with Maps.

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Mar 21, 2022 8:03 PM in response to Drew_7

Hi Drew, tried as you suggested. In safe mode it was worse, did not even show the road direction map that I sent as attachments.

I restarted and then logged out and logged in as a new user as you suggested - everything worked as it should.

What do I change to make the change to my existing user login.

Look,forward to your reply

Ron

Mar 22, 2022 1:13 PM in response to two botts

two botts wrote:

Hi Rachael, thanks for your help, the settings in preferences are the same in both user, one works, the other does not.
Will contact apple support to see what they have to say

Regards
Ron

Apple servers have had some major outages... I would simply try back later before you get too carried away.

Different regions of the world are effected differently. Apple has a habit of reporting all green, even if localized issues still persist.

try google maps and compare your results: https://www.google.com/maps

Apple Maps not working on MacPro 2013 2 x Apple Thunderbolt displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.