Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple CarPlay Lag

My maps in Apple CarPlay start lagging once I start driving. The maps are like a mile behind where I actually am. I drive a Kia k5 2023. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

iPhone XS, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 4:23 PM

I use Waze and the longer I drive, the further behind it gets. I’ll be parked in my garage and Waze will say I’m driving 45mph. But it’s not just Waze, when someone calls, it will ring but the caller ID doesn’t come up in the screen until it goes into voicemail, by then it’s too late to answer! It’s very frustrating. I drive a 2023 Kia Sorento. I’ve had it to Kia dealership twice. I also have a 2018 Hyundai Kona with no CarPlay issues, so I don’t think it’s CarPlay!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 4:23 PM in response to RohanDalal

I use Waze and the longer I drive, the further behind it gets. I’ll be parked in my garage and Waze will say I’m driving 45mph. But it’s not just Waze, when someone calls, it will ring but the caller ID doesn’t come up in the screen until it goes into voicemail, by then it’s too late to answer! It’s very frustrating. I drive a 2023 Kia Sorento. I’ve had it to Kia dealership twice. I also have a 2018 Hyundai Kona with no CarPlay issues, so I don’t think it’s CarPlay!

Feb 7, 2023 11:24 AM in response to Brandon_J_321

The issue is larger than location. I constantly see performance lag just moving around the interface. Select an app and it shows up a minute or so later. Apple Music time indicator can be 30-40 seconds behind the actual song playing. It will still show a prior song after switching to a new song. Location is off on maps due to a performance issue vs gps location detection.

Nov 15, 2022 6:32 AM in response to RohanDalal

I also have this issue, at first it’s fine but the longer I drive the more it seems to lag. I drove about a 40 minute trip two days ago and by the time my exit was coming up off the highway maps was easily a mile behind where I was just like you, but I don’t think it’s an issue with maps specifically because the entire CarPlay interface lags on any touch for quite a while. 2022 Kia Stinger… wonder if it’s a Kia infotainment issue.

Nov 14, 2022 9:31 AM in response to RohanDalal

Howdy RohanDalal,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand you've noticed the location seems to be delayed while using maps with Apple CarPlay, right?

If we have that correct, let's check if Precise Location is enabled for the Maps app. If that isn't enabled, let's go ahead and turn this on to allow for your location to be accurate. Check out the following steps for assistance with locating this, and you can learn more details here: Turn Location Services and GPS on or off on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How to share your specific location

With iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, some apps can use Precise Location to get to your specific location. To share only your approximate location — which may be sufficient for an app that doesn’t need your exact location — turn Precise Location off. Here's how:

1. Go to Settings > Privacy, then select Location Services.

2. Select an app, then turn Precise Location on or off.

Learn more about privacy and Location Services.

Let us know if that changes the results for you, and confirm that you have the latest iOS version installed on your paired iPhone.

Have a great day!

Feb 24, 2023 9:43 AM in response to RohanDalal

Same issue for me with a 13 pro max. Apple maps seems to work OK but google maps and waze are totally unusable in carplay.

If I open Waze in particular it will freeze up the entire ui and everything becomes unusable.

This has been the case for quite some time (a year or more) and I think it's pretty poor apple haven't yet solved this issue.

Android auto is currently looking like the better option.

Mar 15, 2023 4:50 AM in response to PetrMCZ

Interestingly enough I have just changed my car but I am still using the exact same phone and apple carplay works fine. Google maps and Waze both work as intended with no issue at all, so this has got to be some sort of an issue with apple carplay not playing nicely with certain head units. As I stated in previous post with my previous car it was totally unusable. Strange.

Apr 5, 2023 2:49 AM in response to RohanDalal

The same thing: Started i guess from iOS 16 - but not sure. The same problem with iPhone 11 and with iPhone 14 (updated my phone before NY). Problem is noticeable with wireless CarPlay (in "native" wireless mode and also via wireless adapter), in wired mode everything is ok.

Lag appears in Waze and in GoogleMaps. started with 5 sec lag in became bigger up to 3-5 minutes (you see positin on map you passed 5 minutes ago) and after this head unit in car are crashing/rebooting. lag is visible within car position on map and if speed is showing on screen - there is also lags on speed change.

Apple CarPlay Lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.