Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lagging Google Maps on Apple CarPlay

How can lagging map display on google and Waze maps be fixed. It started about 2-3 weeks ago. Do I need to buy an android phone?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 10:54 AM

That will not fix the issue. I even updated to the latest version of Google Maps at the time of this post, which is version 6.48, and IT'S STILL BROKEN. Google need to fix whatever it is that they broke.

19 replies

Nov 15, 2022 4:06 PM in response to Lagging-Google-Waze-Maps-Help7

Hey there Lagging-Google-Waze-Maps-Help7,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, do you experience any performance issues when using the native Maps app on your iPhone? If not, give the steps listed in the following resource that can help: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

1. Close and reopen the app
Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

2. Restart your device
Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

3. Check for updates
To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

4. Delete the app, then redownload it
Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

While we understand you're not having issues with the apps not responding or quitting unexpectedly, these steps can help with other issues you may be experiencing as well.

You may also want to check out the steps in this additional resource as well: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

This can help with troubleshooting issues when CarPlay is not working as expected.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

Nov 23, 2022 7:36 PM in response to Chris_V89

I'm having similar problems. The audio cues in google maps are for my current location when getting directions however the the phone is extremely slow to respond and the progress of the guidance on screen is several kms behind my actual position. When I get to a red light I can watch my progress eventually catch up to my current position lol. Maybe related, apple maps and Google maps seem to need a force close restart to get directions to locate my position. After the force close the apps seem fine. I just redownloaded google maps and will give that a try. Seems like my problems started with 16.1.1

Nov 25, 2022 8:35 PM in response to Lagging-Google-Waze-Maps-Help7

I was having this issue too and discovered through extensive testing that it appear to be an issue with an update from google. I discovered this because I restored a previous backup on my iPhone and it had an older version of google maps from the App Store. I tested CarPlay to see if it would freeze out of curiosity and it hasn’t lagged at all. As of this post the current version of google maps in the App Store is v6.45. I’m running v6.26.6 from my backup and it’s working perfectly. Not sure how to get this reported and on the radar to get fixed. I’m not going to update it until I know they fixed it. I haven’t tested Waze yet since I don’t use it much but I will.

Dec 24, 2022 7:56 PM in response to BD8277

I got a new Iphone recently, and update everything often. I did not have this problem with my 2018 Ford Fusion. However I just traded it in on a 2023 Hyundai Sonata and this delay problem is terrible! Makes Google maps unusable in my new car. Also all the functions in the Car Play screen are delayed. I try to change screens and the new screen comes up 10 seconds later. Driving me insane.

Dec 24, 2022 10:15 PM in response to Addled_mind

I am driving Uber and Apple Maps won't connect directly, where as Google maps works. Well, it did in my Fusion, had no problems right up to trading it in last Tuesday.

When I go to Apple maps from the Uber app, it says [Website not found]. Not sure why. Otherwise I have no issues with Apple map, I would just have to enter the address in manually each time, which is a bit of a pain.

Oh, and the Uber map is not so good. Plus it won't show up on the car screen.

Feb 2, 2023 8:16 PM in response to Photastic

I noticed Google Maps has an update, so I updated it today. I have been using Apple Maps with no problems since I got my new car in December. After the update I tried Google Map again. I still messes up my Apple Carplay. Not only does the map lag, but all functions, including advancing my music selection and screen views are delayed. Apple CarPlay does not play nicely with Google Map.

Lagging Google Maps on Apple CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.