Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating my Macbook Pro (2019), it keeps forgetting my TouchID fingerprints?

Since I updated my Macbook Pro (2019) to macOS Monterey ver. 12.3, my TouchID has stopped working correctly. When I try to unlock my computer, it keeps saying "Try Again" and has never done this before. I have cleaned the TouchID, as well as made sure my fingers are clean and dry. The only thing works is if I delete the existing fingerprints, and then reset them; however, this is only a temporary fix. The computer will remember the fingerprints, but after a day, the same issue happens again. I have tried deleting all the TouchID memory and restarting my computer, but that has not worked either. I am at a loss. Is there anything I can try that has worked for others?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 5:47 AM

AquiloWulf wrote:

Since I updated my Macbook Pro (2019) to macOS Monterey ver. 12.3, my TouchID has stopped working correctly. When I try to unlock my computer, it keeps saying "Try Again" and has never done this before. I have cleaned the TouchID, as well as made sure my fingers are clean and dry. The only thing works is if I delete the existing fingerprints, and then reset them; however, this is only a temporary fix. The computer will remember the fingerprints, but after a day, the same issue happens again. I have tried deleting all the TouchID memory and restarting my computer, but that has not worked either. I am at a loss. Is there anything I can try that has worked for others?

Thanks in advance!

"If you have problems with Touch ID"

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

deleting the finger prints and adding them back in as a trouble shooting technique

If no resolve: Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

TouchID not working—

There are a few instances where Touch ID will not be accepted by macOS:

• If you restarted your Mac, or if you're not logged into your user account.

• If you have not unlocked your Mac for 48 hours.

• If you are trying to unlock Security & Privacy

• If you are trying to unlock Users & Groups Preferences (when FileVault is on)

• If 5 wrong fingerprint attempts

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 5:47 AM in response to AquiloWulf

AquiloWulf wrote:

Thanks in advance!

"If you have problems with Touch ID"

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

deleting the finger prints and adding them back in as a trouble shooting technique

If no resolve: Try resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

TouchID not working—

There are a few instances where Touch ID will not be accepted by macOS:

• If you restarted your Mac, or if you're not logged into your user account.

• If you have not unlocked your Mac for 48 hours.

• If you are trying to unlock Security & Privacy

• If you are trying to unlock Users & Groups Preferences (when FileVault is on)

• If 5 wrong fingerprint attempts

After updating my Macbook Pro (2019), it keeps forgetting my TouchID fingerprints?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.