Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp assistant failure

Hi,

Boot camp assistant reported an error when deleting windows, and I am left hanging.

The application said to perform a first aid on my internal default SSD, so I did, with no errors.

When I run the assistant again, it reports that it thinks I am trying to install Windows, when all I want to do is eliminate the boot camp partition.

Disk Utilities is of no use, as it does not let me resize the base partition to take advantage of the whole drive.

Please help!

Thank You,

Paul

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:12 PM

Wipe the storage and re-partition, re-install macOS, and then restore the backups or use Setup Assistant or Migrarion Assistant to reload your data..

Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support

You can certainly ask Apple Support, but I’d expect the erase-and-install is what they’ll either suggest, or will perform.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 7:12 PM in response to promero1

Wipe the storage and re-partition, re-install macOS, and then restore the backups or use Setup Assistant or Migrarion Assistant to reload your data..

You can certainly ask Apple Support, but I’d expect the erase-and-install is what they’ll either suggest, or will perform.

Apr 8, 2022 4:53 PM in response to KiloCharlie1

KiloCharlie1 wrote:

Hello,
I also have similar problem (see my post),
is it possible to help me out?

Wipe the storage and re-partition, re-install macOS, and then restore the backups or use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to reload your data, and use whatever Windows uses for backups these days whenever that partition restoration is necessary.

Partitioning with one platform is mostly reliable, absent a stray write and that write for whatever reason. Partitioning with heterogeneous platforms tends to be rather more fragile, as not all platforms and not all partitioning tools agree with how the partitions should be implemented. (Windows was notorious for stomping on unrecognized file systems with writing a “harmless signature” in years past, and there have been cases of corruptions across various platforms.)

The most seemingly fragile partitioning implementations I’ve ever encountered are also when there are both no backups and critical data, and particularly cases with a YOLO approach toward re-partitioning.

Mar 21, 2022 6:55 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi BTF,

I tried that, but Windows is already uninstalled in bootcamp, so the assistant just wants me to reinstall it. I entered recovery mode in MAC OS (Monterey), and observed the 'free space' left from the bootcamp uninstall and the APFS partition used by the system and apps. I tested both partitions using first aid, and while the free space partition is ok, the main system partition we use everyday has errors which first aid is unable to fix. Then, I go to the partition in disk utility, see the pie shape, and I select the "minus" sign on the free space. I attempted, then, to resize the APFS partition to take up the whole disk, and this process fails in disk utility. I have no time to reinstall, since my daughter uses this machine everyday for school.

Is this a possible warranty replacement for the disk?

Is this a possible "Genius Bar" appointment?

Am I out of luck?

My goal is to use the entire disk!! That's why I uninstalled bootcamp.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Paul

Boot camp assistant failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.