Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some videos from Mac Photo app not visible on Apple TV 4K

I am using Home Sharing and the "Computer" app on my Apple TV 4K to access my Mac Photos library and noticed that some video files are missing. Specifically videos taken with my iPhone X. The photos taken with my iPhone X are there, as are the photos AND videos taken with my wife's iPhone 6s. The same photos that are not visible on the Apple TV can be viewed via AirPlay from my Mac to the Apple TV, but that isn't a convenient way to do it. Any ideas?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 10:31 AM

Make sure to add the video to the TV app (drag-and-drop, or through the menu). You should then have them under ‘Library﹥Home Videos’. Home Sharing videos is separate from the photo home sharing.

In the Computers app, you’ll find the shared home videos in the Home Videos tab.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Or, if you make use of iCloud Photos, you may find your iPhone photos and videos in the Photos app on Apple TV.

View iCloud Photos on Apple TV - Apple Support

Then it wouldn’t rely on the files on the computer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 10:31 AM in response to DNP1968

Make sure to add the video to the TV app (drag-and-drop, or through the menu). You should then have them under ‘Library﹥Home Videos’. Home Sharing videos is separate from the photo home sharing.

In the Computers app, you’ll find the shared home videos in the Home Videos tab.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Or, if you make use of iCloud Photos, you may find your iPhone photos and videos in the Photos app on Apple TV.

View iCloud Photos on Apple TV - Apple Support

Then it wouldn’t rely on the files on the computer.

Mar 22, 2022 11:28 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the suggestions, but neither apply.

In regard to your first suggestion, I am not referring to the TV app/Home Videos. I use that for videos I have created using multiple files. I am referring to the Mac Photos app and have ensured that the correct albums are selected, and "Include videos" is checked.

In regard to your second suggestion, I am not interested in using the iCloud function. I would rather my extensive library (20,000+ files) be on my Mac and back up drive. Home Sharing is my preferred method for accessing them from the Apple TV and it works well with the exception of my iPhone X video files for the last couple of years. If I look back through history, some due show up and they are the same file type.

Mar 23, 2022 7:58 AM in response to Urquhart1244

There seems to be no relevance to size or rate. The frame rate of all the videos is 59.99 or 60 FPS. The size of files varies. For example - a 15.5MB file does not show up, whereas a 150MB does. Another file, 400MB, does not. There seems to be no "cutoff" size that the Apple TV cannot display. I do not know how to check dynamic range, color gamut or codec. Given that all the videos in question are taken by the same device, I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference, but I am not well versed in video files. Also, the files are viewable if I AirPlay them, so they shouldn't be outside the range of what the Apple TV can display.

I appreciate your ideas though!

Mar 26, 2022 8:32 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I found a Reddit post this morning that states Apple TV 4K does NOT support HEVC through Home Sharing. Link below (hope it is OK to share here - if not, delete it.) If this is the case, it kind of answers my question. However, I do see a couple of HVEC videos via Home Sharing, so I am still confused. I upgraded my old Apple TV to the newest 4K model specifically so that I can Home Share 4K video. What a disappointment.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Some videos from Mac Photo app not visible on Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.