Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get the "start up in safe mode" option

Have been advised to use start up in safe mode as one option to correct possibly corrupted start ups. However, after following the directions multiple times, I'm never able to get the Start Up in Safe Mode option to select while holding the shift key. Is there an explanation and advice on what to try next? I am using a new MacBook Air 13 with latest Monterey OS.

Thanks,

Paul

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 8:01 PM

i did press and hold shift key but the “Continue in Safe Mode” never appears - so I can’t click on it.

7 replies

May 7, 2022 2:37 PM in response to John Galt

I hadn't seen it before, but this breakdown is considerably closer to what is needed to start in Safe Mode. Closer than the 4-step 4-line description I was handed. And You are correct about my "Disk will start up in Safe Mode" quote. The only point to add to this version is the bit about using a wireless keyboard, but most people starting in Safe Mode would probably be using a wired keyboard anyway. Wireless keyboards aren't much good for diagnosing problems in the computer.

Mar 22, 2022 4:26 AM in response to phibbspv

I understand things aren't working the way Apple describes. The following is the way it's supposed to work, expanded to include additional detail:

1. Start with a Mac powered on in the usual manner, logged into your User Account.
  2. Shut down the Mac using  > Shut Down...
  3. Wait until the Mac actually shuts down. You can confirm it has actually shut down by pressing the Caps Lock key. The Mac will begin to start, but the Caps Lock LED will not illuminate until after the Apple logo appears. If that did not happen then it was not shut down, so you might as well start over at Step 1.
  4. Press and hold the power button / Touch ID button. "Continue holding for startup options..." will appear, followed a second or two later by "Loading startup options...". If that does not happen, you might as well start over from the beginning.
  5. When the "hard disk" and "gear" icons appear, release the power button.
  6. Select (momentarily click) the startup disk. "Continue" will appear beneath it.
  7. Press either Shift key. The "Continue" button legend should change to "Continue in Safe Mode".
  8. Continue holding the Shift key and click that button. You can release it when the indeterminate progress indicator "spinner" appears.
  9. The usual Login screen will appear, but "Safe Boot" should appear in red at the upper right of the Mac's menu bar.
  10. Log in in the usual manner. Once logged in, it might not be obvious the Mac is in Safe Mode. You can confirm that it is with  > System Information > Software. Under System Software Overview, the words Boot Mode: Safe should appear. Get system information for your Mac - Apple Support describes how to open the System Information app.

I understand something is not working as described in those steps above, so let me know the step that is not working.

Mar 21, 2022 8:55 PM in response to phibbspv

Hi phibbspv,

Safe Mode isn't available for macOS Recovery (the Options gear) or bootable installers. However, Safe Mode should be available for your normal macOS installation.

Just curious, have you tried using an external keyboard for the Shift key? Maybe Shift is broken on the internal keyboard. Also, you might want to check your keyboard layout (check the top right corner).

Unable to get the "start up in safe mode" option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.