Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD and 2 Macintosh HD Data partitions with Home directories

It's probably been beaten to death already but Finder is showing both "Mac HD" and "Mac HD - Data" I know it's suppose to be hidden to the end user but I think I have an interesting twist on it.

Both are browse-able and editable by me and I have two user directories, one in each of the HD and HD- Data partitions with the full Home director file structure (Downloads, Documents, Music, etc) that have different content. One had a GDrive folder which would put it circa 2018. I bought it mid 2014 new so it's seen a thing or two and several OSs and major overhauls.

Only reason I really noticed something was up is that fact that my disk is "pretty **** full" even though I really couldn't account for it.

Is there anyway to tidy this up or will I have to call in a orbital strike and format the drive and rebuild from ground 0? Then if I do the nuclear path, is there any good to make sure I grab everything before I nuke it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 7:54 PM

Open Disk Utility.

In the drive list you should find both Data drives.

When you select each data drive, look at the info pane. The drive with the house badge on the icon and a Mount Point of /System/Volumes/Data is your current data drive.

The other(s) mounted to /Volumes are orphans left over from an incorrect reinstall of the os.

Select each and click the Remove Volume button (–).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2022 7:54 PM in response to Utechtl

Open Disk Utility.

In the drive list you should find both Data drives.

When you select each data drive, look at the info pane. The drive with the house badge on the icon and a Mount Point of /System/Volumes/Data is your current data drive.

The other(s) mounted to /Volumes are orphans left over from an incorrect reinstall of the os.

Select each and click the Remove Volume button (–).

Macintosh HD and 2 Macintosh HD Data partitions with Home directories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.