Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fixing Disk Issues

A few years back I installed a new HD on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) and ever since there has been weirdness in the Finder. For example, my applications got moved into the new HD folder or something, I don't really know.

Programs work fine but the layout of my files and programs seems odd.

When I recently created a new user login for a friend, the folder and file setup seems fine. So how can I "reset" the folders organization under my login OR migrate my current user setup to a new user setup I can use instead?

The MacBook is running High Sierra.

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 9, 2020 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:02 PM

cdispoto wrote:

A few years back I installed a new HD on my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) and ever since there has been weirdness in the Finder. For example, my applications got moved into the new HD folder or something, I don't really know.

When I recently created a new user login for a friend, the folder and file setup seems fine. So how can I "reset" the folders organization under my login OR migrate my current user setup to a new user setup I can use instead?

Thanks for any help!

When you create a new user— give that user Admin privileges. You can share between account ie move all your user data over to the new account.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Use it like this for several weeks to test and make sure you have everything—only then it would be safe to delete the old account

Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 1:02 PM in response to cdispoto

cdispoto wrote:

Thanks for any help!

When you create a new user— give that user Admin privileges. You can share between account ie move all your user data over to the new account.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Use it like this for several weeks to test and make sure you have everything—only then it would be safe to delete the old account

Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Fixing Disk Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.