Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App can delete from Launchpad from the standard user account without admin privilege

Hi Guys,

Im using

Mac Book Pro (13 Inch, M1, 2020)

macOS Monterey (Version 12.3)

Recently I have created one standard user account Without admin privilege. However when I login into the standard user account :-

1.) I tried to delete the application from the Finder ----> application folder -----> right click "move to bin" IT WILL REQUEST FOR ADMIN CREDENTIAL ( WHICH IS CORRECT AND WHAT I WANT)

2.) I tried to open the LaunchPad -----> Drag an app to Bin ----> it will ask if im confirm want to delete or cancel -----> when I click Delete ----> app got deleted.

However when I return back to application folder in finder and found the app is missing and deleted.

( Which I feel like the front door have huge lock as the back door without a door)

To confirm on this behaviour - I switch user to admin account and checked ---> Yes the app got deleted.

Contacted apple support ---> request me to perform macOS repair installation ---> I did follow the instruction. After the OS repair installation I tested it still the same behaviour.

Can someone help me on this and share if you guys also face the same issues.

regards

Seenu

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 9:13 AM

Seenu24 wrote:

Hi Guys,
Im using

Recently I have created one standard user account Without admin privilege. However when I login into the standard user account :-
1.) I tried to delete the application from the Finder ----> application folder -----> right click "move to bin" IT WILL REQUEST FOR ADMIN CREDENTIAL ( WHICH IS CORRECT AND WHAT I WANT)

2.) I tried to open the LaunchPad -----> Drag an app to Bin ----> it will ask if im confirm want to delete or cancel -----> when I click Delete ----> app got deleted.

However when I return back to application folder in finder and found the app is missing and deleted.
( Which I feel like the front door have huge lock as the back door without a door)

To confirm on this behaviour - I switch user to admin account and checked ---> Yes the app got deleted.

Contacted apple support ---> request me to perform macOS repair installation ---> I did follow the instruction. After the OS repair installation I tested it still the same behaviour.

regards
Seenu

It is a shared Applications folder—

Typically a standard user does not have the admin psswd.

What is this a hypothetical scenario...you have created for yourself?

Why a standard account to begin with?

You can restrict privileges...from >System Preferences>General>Advanced

Set up content and privacy restrictions in Screen Time on Mac - Apple Support

For your app is question if highlighted> Command i opens the info pane— you can try Locking it (?)

or change permissions(?)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 9:13 AM in response to Seenu24

Seenu24 wrote:

Hi Guys,
Im using

regards
Seenu

It is a shared Applications folder—

Typically a standard user does not have the admin psswd.

What is this a hypothetical scenario...you have created for yourself?

Why a standard account to begin with?

You can restrict privileges...from >System Preferences>General>Advanced

Set up content and privacy restrictions in Screen Time on Mac - Apple Support

For your app is question if highlighted> Command i opens the info pane— you can try Locking it (?)

or change permissions(?)

Mar 23, 2022 10:32 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroydouglas,

Thanks for your advice.

I have tried your advice as what you have directed me. Unfortunately it still the same. I unable to delete "Move to Bin" from the finder ---> Application folder but manage to drag and move the app to bin from launchpad.

However,

I just realised this is only happen to selected applications only and not on all. I tried on VLC from the application folder Its requesting for admins credential and when I tried to drag and drop VLC from the launchPad nothing happen " the bin just being dimmed only" app not deleted ... if I try with iMovie its happen, and few more other apps as well.

I setup this standard use account for my wife and testing it out prior to create accounts for my kids to share this Mac. Due to that I went an extra mile test the system to ensure apps not to get deleted by standard users.

This is my 1st Mac.

Thanks for your good advice and let me know if you can figure out anything else.

Regards

Seenu

App can delete from Launchpad from the standard user account without admin privilege

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.