Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" 5K 2019 Fans at 0rpm?!

I got my iMac for about 3 years, but i hardly used for the past year. Now i tried turning it on, it works fine for the most part.

But temps reached 100 degrees CELCIUS and the fan app is still showing 0rpm??

i touched the back of the mac and it was pretty hot so i turned it off and waited for it to cool.

After awhile, turned it back on and it still turns on fine, but the fan is still not running...

should i get a new fan or a new fan monitoring app?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 10:40 AM

+1 on den.thed's suggestions.

Note: When doing a SMC reset please do the reset per the directions in SMC Reset and when doing the reset please unplug any wired external periphals such as HDs, scanners, printers, cameras etc. Also do the reset a minimum of 2-3 times as the first reset may not always "take."

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 23, 2022 10:37 AM in response to Shikied

What temp. monitoring and fan app are you using?

Sadly some fan control app’s have the ability to set the fan speed to 0, which IMHO is a very bad idea.

What I would do, is uninstall the current app and reset the iMac’s SMC to see if the fan speed returns to the default speed.

Also I would not use the iMac for more than a few minutes until the fan issue is fixed, for fear of causing more permanent damage.

If you are looking for a replacement monitoring and control app to test? I recommend MacFanControl. But again, you will need to uninstall all other app’s and reset the SMC before downloading another.

In the end of the fan is not working, then you need to make a service appointment ASAP.

iMac 27" 5K 2019 Fans at 0rpm?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.