Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can an Apple Consumer get a replacement iPhone if "Find My iPhone" was not activated on the device at the time the device was lost? Is there another way to put the device into Lost Mode?

How Can an Apple Consumer get a replacement iPhone if "Find My iPhone" was not activated on the device at the time the device was lost? Is there another way to put the device into Lost Mode?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 10:10 AM

If you are referring to a Theft and Loss policy via Apple it requires that Find My be activated (not Lost Mode) and if it is not then the policy is void. There is no way to turn it on after the phone is lost.

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 23, 2022 10:53 AM in response to ShayIsMyName

I totally get your frustration having your device go missing and needing to buy another, but it is the consumer responsibility to ask questions and learn about the product’s they buy. Also as deggie pointed out, it’s very clearly stated in the policy, too.

However, I’d absolutely send feedback to where you bought it from. Where did you buy it from? An Apple Store, your carrier, an authorized retailer?

As for “these phone companies can track your phone's whereabouts when crimes are committed” Apple cannot track devices even if Find My is on, or if they get a subpoena. They confirm this at https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/law-enforcement-guidelines-us.pdf

Now why must you enable Find My from the device only is related to and explained in the above link. If there is no way to figure out where the device is without it in hand to physically turn Find My on how could they remotely enable it?

Mar 23, 2022 10:14 AM in response to ShayIsMyName

I purchased Apple Care insurance and paid for the entire two years coverage in full; I was NEVER told by anyone I dealt with, that FindMy iPhone had to be activated on my device. My credit card was easily taken and billed, yet something as important as that feature, was never disclosed. Who walks out their home expecting to lose or have their devices stolen? My money was easily taken, yet now that I need assistance in getting a replacement device (that I paid insurance for), this multi-million dollar company is slamming doors in my face. They may as well be telling me, "Sorry ma'am, you're just outta luck!" I don't want to keep hearing everyone saying "I'm Sorry for what you're going through", yet do absolutely NOTHING to help me get a replacement device. I don't know about you, but I don't have $2k to just throw away. So sad! God please help me! It's amazing how these phone companies can track your phone's whereabouts when crimes are committed, but now I'm being told "Find my iPhone" has to be activated to put my phone into lost mode. Makes absolutely no sense that there's no other method available to complete this task!

Mar 23, 2022 10:20 AM in response to ShayIsMyName

I purchased Theft and Loss Coverage when it was first available. It clearly said in the policy at the start and throughout that Find My MUST be enabled to have coverage. I always set up Find My anyways (even before they offered such coverage) so I could locate my phone if I did misplace it.

There is no one from Apple here that can assist you, this is a user-to-user technical support site operated by Apple as covered in the Terms of Use that you agreed to upon joining this site. You can call AppleCare and ask to be transferred to Customer Service or ask to speak to a manager at the insurance company.

Mar 23, 2022 10:22 AM in response to ShayIsMyName

If you cannot locate your iPhone and the insurance policy is void yes you will have to pay for another iPhone. I didn’t pay $2,000 USD for mine but perhaps you are buying a more expensive version. If you do have to go this route the first two things you need to do after entering your Apple ID and Password are turn on Find My and iCloud backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.