Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey upgrade - falls back to Big Sur

Hey,

I have bunch of Macbooks (Intel models from 2017, 2018, 2019) that are running on Big Sur and upon trying to upgrade to Monterey 12.3 there is a weird behaviour.

The upgrade downloads just fine, the install process starts. Looks like everything is fine but at the end of the upgrade process the device reboots and it's still on Big Sur. No change to the OS at all.

What I have done so far:

• double checked on free disk space
  • deleted the installer from /applications folder
  • completed an NVRAM reset
  • uninstalled MS Defender for Endpoint

Facts:

• EFI password setup for all of them
  • CyberArk EPM installed to all of them
  • All of them have Apple SSD installed

Still no joy.

Anyone else experienced this so far?

Thanks!

Jozsef

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 8:14 AM

jfriedel80 wrote:

• Hey,

I have bunch of Macbooks (Intel models from 2017, 2018, 2019) that are running on Big Sur and upon trying to upgrade to Monterey 12.3 there is a weird behaviour.
The upgrade downloads just fine, the install process starts. Looks like everything is fine but at the end of the upgrade process the device reboots and it's still on Big Sur. No change to the OS at all.

What I have done so far:

double checked on free disk space
Facts:
EFI password setup for all of them

Still no joy.

Thanks!
Jozsef

Try running the installer from a SafeBoot

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and relaunch the installer if it is in your Applications folder (Install macOS Monterey.app)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 8:14 AM in response to jfriedel80

jfriedel80 wrote:

• Hey,

What I have done so far:

double checked on free disk space
Facts:
EFI password setup for all of them

Still no joy.

Thanks!
Jozsef

Try running the installer from a SafeBoot

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and relaunch the installer if it is in your Applications folder (Install macOS Monterey.app)

Monterey upgrade - falls back to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.