Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri is no longer reading text messages out loud in Carplay. Help?

Hi there,

I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler and use Carplay. Prior to upgrading to ios 15, Siri would read my incoming text messages out loud. Helpful! Safe! Now, it no longer reads my messages out loud. When a text comes in, and I tap the screen to read it, there is no sound. The user interface on the screen does it's circular animation as if it's reading it out loud, but nope. Not helpful. Not safe.

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting it to bluetooth (which seems useless as I connect to Carplay via USB cable), and have selected "forget this car" in the iphone carplay settings to have it reconnect the next time i plug in. Nothing works.

It worked flawlessly prior to upgrading to the newest ios. Any help and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 5:10 AM

Carplay technically does work. When I plug it in to the car, the interface shows up, I can play music, podcasts, use the maps, etc. The problem is Siri. It makes no sound.

I've tried "forget this car", reconnecting. Tried unpairing from bluetooth, and re-pairing. Nothing. Siri makes no sound. I made sure "announce new messages" is selected on both the phone and carplay and also made sure the sound (not on mute/vibrate) is on, on the phone. When a text comes in, the radio sound mutes as if it's announcing something, but there is no sound. When I asked, "Hey Siri. What time is it?" the animation popped up on the screen, but there was no sound.

What now??

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2022 5:10 AM in response to bryanr14

Carplay technically does work. When I plug it in to the car, the interface shows up, I can play music, podcasts, use the maps, etc. The problem is Siri. It makes no sound.

I've tried "forget this car", reconnecting. Tried unpairing from bluetooth, and re-pairing. Nothing. Siri makes no sound. I made sure "announce new messages" is selected on both the phone and carplay and also made sure the sound (not on mute/vibrate) is on, on the phone. When a text comes in, the radio sound mutes as if it's announcing something, but there is no sound. When I asked, "Hey Siri. What time is it?" the animation popped up on the screen, but there was no sound.

What now??

Mar 24, 2022 11:42 AM in response to sofastudios

Hello sofastudios,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. There are troubleshooting steps available that can help you with Siri in CarPlay. Let's go ahead and follow these steps:

" If you need help with CarPlay 

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, learn what to do.

First, make sure that your country or region supports CarPlay and that your car supports CarPlay. If you're unsure if your car supports CarPlay, contact the vehicle manufacturer.

Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS. If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps — checking CarPlay after each step:

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.
  1. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. 
  3. Make sure that Siri is on.
  4. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.
  5. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.
  6. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support. "

This information is outlined in this helpful article: If you need help with CarPlay

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Siri is no longer reading text messages out loud in Carplay. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.