Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the Contacts app on my new M1 MBP all of a sudden have so many duplicate contacts?

Why does the Contacts app on my new 16" M1 MBP all of a sudden have so many duplicate contacts? These do not appear in my iCloud contacts or on my iPhone Contacts app. (Below it says I'm using the High Sierra MacOS, but I'm using the latest version of Monterey. I'll update my device info after I submit this query)

And why does one of each of the duplicate contacts on my MBP have a special field called "cards" that has "On my Mac" and "iCloud" as separate selections? This is new. On the duplicate contact (which seems to be the original contact) that does not have the "cards" field, you are not even offered the option under "Add field" in the Card menu dropdown to add a "cards" field.

In fact, I even have duplicate "My Cards", for myself at the beginning of my list of contacts. (neither of which have the mysterious "cards" field)

That's problem #1.

I've been using my phone to occasionally delete some of these new duplicate cards from my iPhone X.

I noticed that only one of each of the duplicate sets had the "cards" field and since I did not understand the significance of the "cards" field, sometimes I deleted the contact with the "cards" field and sometimes I deleted the duplicate that did not have that extra new "cards" field. Once the meaning of that "cards" field is explained to me, then I'll likely know the significance of deleting the contact with the "cards" field.

But I'd really like to dump all of my contacts from my MBP and then just restore the contacts on the MPB Contacts app from what I have in the cloud where there seem to be no duplicate contacts.

Can someone please explain what's going on?

And why the Contacts app on my new M1 MBP is as slow as the Contacts app was on my old MBP. Way too much wheel spinning for my money.

Steve

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 2:25 PM

I can't tell you why you got duplicate contacts. I have an idea though. This is similar. I have a document folder in my home folder ., but iCloud created an iCloud document folder with the same documents in my home folder. Anyway you can merge or delete the duplicates in contacts.https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/09/how-to-remove-merge-duplicate-contacts-macos-ios/

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2022 2:25 PM in response to Steven Weinberg1

I can't tell you why you got duplicate contacts. I have an idea though. This is similar. I have a document folder in my home folder ., but iCloud created an iCloud document folder with the same documents in my home folder. Anyway you can merge or delete the duplicates in contacts.https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/09/how-to-remove-merge-duplicate-contacts-macos-ios/

Why does the Contacts app on my new M1 MBP all of a sudden have so many duplicate contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.