Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This solution doesn't work on MacBook Air Contacts Program (OSX Monterey).

If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

I've run the instructions - particularly for the Mac - steps On your Mac

On your Mac

2. Open Contacts.

3. From the Card menu, select Card > Look for Duplicates.

4. When asked, click Merge.

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until no duplicates are found.

I've repeated those steps more than a dozen times and every time I get a seeming random number of cards.

After running the steps, I literally watch as duplicate cards come right back and repopulate in contacts on my Mac.

Also, what's the point of steps 1 and 6. So, you've made copies? What's the point?

I have confirmed the duplicates are NOT in iCloud. And, Contacts is ONLY linked to my Apple iCould account - not other card accounts (e.g. Google).

There is no need to tell me to make sure I have updated software, latest version of MacOS X, etc. and similar cut and paste - here's a whole lot of worthless things. Those instructions are insulting and nothing more than a user/forum "points" grab.

Also, Apple's own instructions above are poorly written (in addition to not working). The implication of "repeat" step 2 is to Open contacts. So, shouldn't there be a step 4.5 to quit/close contacts before returning to step 2 to Open contacts and run step 3? And, by implication, are you supposed to NOT repeat step 4 each time you're told in step 5 to "repeat steps 2 and 3."

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 11:48 PM

Try logging out of iCloud, then checking what remains in Contacts. Restart in Safe Mode, check and possibly delete any extraneous contacts. Then restart normally and log back in to your iCloud account.

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 7, 2022 2:04 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Restarted in safe mode (still logged out of icloud). No contacts show up at all.

Quit contacts app.

While in safe mode, logged back into iClud via Apple Menu - System Preferences - Sign In

Upon Sign In Contacts was automatically checked.

Ran Contacts App - again while Mac in Safe mode.

Took a bit of time but the approximately 1000-1100 contacts I have in iCloud all populated into Mac's Contacts program. And, they're listed under iCloud --- All Contacts. There is no listing of "On My Mac"

Number of cards/contacts (approximately 1000-1100 contacts) in Mac's Contact's program matches the (correct, non-duplicated) number on my iPhone and in iCloud.

While running in safe mode on the Mac, there are no contacts (duplicate or otherwise) that I would wish to delete/merge/etc. either on the Mac (under iCloud --- All Contacts), in iCloud, or on the phone (which also syncs to iCloud - and only iCloud - under same username). In safe mode - everything looks "right" between Mac - iCloud - iPhone.

So, while in "Safe Mode" the duplicated contacts seem to be "gone" Again, the approximately 1000-1100 contacts I have in iCloud all populated into Mac's Contacts program. And, they're listed under iCloud --- All Contacts. There is no listing of "On My Mac" in safe mode on the Mac, there are no contacts (duplicate or otherwise) that I would wish to delete/merge/etc.

But, obviously, don't want to have to run Mac in Safe Mode all the time...

So, now what?

Will put up another post after restart in regular mode (e.g. not safe mode).

Oct 6, 2022 6:02 PM in response to JoeS

Also observing that the Find Duplicates command is not eliminating duplicates. Rather, just keeps the duplicate card and for each duplicated card has the same info repeated over and over and over again. So, it seems to merge the cards' data into the card over and over again. What a waste!

Oct 7, 2022 2:17 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Did NOT log out of iCloud before shutting down from Safe Mode.

Shut down while in Safe Mode.

Started up in non-safe mode.

Was still logged into iCloud when computer started up in non-safe mode.

Ran contacts app.

Same number of contacts/cards (approx 1000-1100) on Mac Contacts (as well as iCloud and iPhone) as when ran in safe mode. No obvious duplicates.

While it appears this is "fixed" - I'd be interested in knowing WHAT amoungst the abovementioned steps got rid of the duplicates and how/why. Was/is there a file somewhere on iCloud, iPhone, Mac that holds some sort of old/residual contacts/cards that the Mac Contacts program was pointing to and pulling duplicate cards?

I appreciate the procedure and that it worked. But, I have to say, the BY FAR MOST IMPORTANT reason for having my iPhone and Mac is the storage of contacts (with far more than just name, address, email and phone information). I've owned Mac's since the original Mac (and before that, Apple 2+) and have since Palm Pilot days, have sought to keep contacts sync'ed between the Apple device and the handheld device. Contacts and sync are the #1 reason and #1 source of problems for me. Definitive ideas, answers and reasons are appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.