Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The sidebar of my Apple Calendar app suddenly changed colors! Does anyone know how to change it back?

The sidebar of my Apple Calendar app suddenly changed colors! Does anyone know how to change it back?

I can't figure out how to change it from it's current purple back to ordinary slate or black.

All help appreciated!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 8:31 PM

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Just leave it. If the Calendar is on top of another app the sidebar shows as grey except when in full screen mode, otherwise it has a transparent look.

Edit: this happens with other apps too, like Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

8 replies

Mar 24, 2022 6:39 PM in response to runnerpadilla

runnerpadilla,

Thank you for these additional details.

Does it help if you use a light appearance?

Use a light or dark appearance on your Mac - Apple Support

In the meantime, we recommend that you check if the issue persists when signed in on a different user account. 

The article below can help if you do not have any other user account to test with.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Take care!

Mar 24, 2022 6:29 PM in response to merlinapple

Hi merlinapple,

I did try to close, force close, and even restarted the computer. No change.

I did notice one strange behavior. When I'm in a non-full screen window, the normal slate gray/black color applies to the sidebar. However, when I use the application in full screen mode, the sidebar changes color.

Another possibility is that the sidebar is adopting the color at the edge of my background. I wonder if that is the intended behavior or a bug? If it is intended, is there a way to disable it?

Thanks for the response. I'll keep investigating until I figure out what is going on!

Mar 24, 2022 8:19 PM in response to kamote0628

It does it in light and dark mode- on my account and all others. It seems to be linked to the property of the sidebar having a smoked glass effect- taking on some of the colors of the background. In full screen mode, it might be taking on the average color of the left edge of the screen perhaps? I tried it with a different desktop and it took on a light gold appearance. With the standard Monterey 12.3 background, it appears light purple, as depicted before.

One interesting thing I noticed, it seems to revert to its previous non-background-color-absorbing in windowed mode, but when I'm not actively using that window. In other words, when it is on the desktop, and I'm using other applications, or just actively engaging the desktop, it uses the original color scheme (though somewhat altered to reflect its inactivity).

Additionally, it takes on the original color during the in-between animation when switching from full-screen to standard windowed mode. When the in-between animation is complete, it once again takes on the smoked-glass-active-window-partial transparency of the full-screen mode.

I embedded a youtube link to show the issue in light mode. In the video, the initial color and final color are different from the color the sidebar takes in the animated transition. The color during the transition appears to be the original color of the sidebar before this issue developed.

I'll try to add a reply with a recording of the same issue in dark mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.