Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health App Summary-where’s the map?

I use an app for running every day. Sometimes when I look at the Summary data in the Health app I can see a map of my run. Other times I just see data. See photos. So, what is the thing that makes it one vs the other?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 3:18 PM

Hi CookieMonster4911.

Thanks for the additional info. Next, let go ahead and calibrate your Apple Watch to see if that helps fix this:

"Calibrate your Apple Watch

1. While wearing your Apple Watch, go to a flat, open outdoor area that offers good GPS reception and clear skies. 
  2. If you have Apple Watch Series 2 or later, you just need your Apple Watch. If you have Apple Watch Series 1 or earlier, bring your iPhone for GPS. Hold your iPhone in your hand, or wear it on an armband or waistband.
  3. Open the Workout app. To start, tap Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run. To set a goal before starting, tap the ... icon.
  4. Walk or run at your normal pace for about 20 minutes.

If you don't have time to finish the workout, you can complete 20 minutes over multiple outdoor Workout sessions. If you work out at different speeds, you should also calibrate for 20 minutes at each of the speeds that you walk or run.

Whenever you walk or run outside using the above steps, your Apple Watch continues to calibrate the accelerometer by learning your stride length at different speeds. Calibration can also improve the accuracy of your calorie calculations in the Workout app, and the calorie, distance, Move, and Exercise calculations in the Activity app. 

Improve your Workout and Activity accuracy

Your personal information, such as your height, weight, gender, and age, is one of the things your Apple Watch uses to calculate how many calories you burn and more. Learn how to update your personal information.

Reset your calibration data

Here's how to reset your calibration data:

1. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Privacy > Reset Fitness Calibration Data. "

If the issue should persist, let's reach out to Apple Support:

Contact Apple for support and service

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 3:18 PM in response to CookieMonster4911

Hi CookieMonster4911.

Thanks for the additional info. Next, let go ahead and calibrate your Apple Watch to see if that helps fix this:

"Calibrate your Apple Watch

1. While wearing your Apple Watch, go to a flat, open outdoor area that offers good GPS reception and clear skies. 
  2. If you have Apple Watch Series 2 or later, you just need your Apple Watch. If you have Apple Watch Series 1 or earlier, bring your iPhone for GPS. Hold your iPhone in your hand, or wear it on an armband or waistband.
  3. Open the Workout app. To start, tap Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run. To set a goal before starting, tap the ... icon.
  4. Walk or run at your normal pace for about 20 minutes.

If you don't have time to finish the workout, you can complete 20 minutes over multiple outdoor Workout sessions. If you work out at different speeds, you should also calibrate for 20 minutes at each of the speeds that you walk or run.

Whenever you walk or run outside using the above steps, your Apple Watch continues to calibrate the accelerometer by learning your stride length at different speeds. Calibration can also improve the accuracy of your calorie calculations in the Workout app, and the calorie, distance, Move, and Exercise calculations in the Activity app. 

Improve your Workout and Activity accuracy

Your personal information, such as your height, weight, gender, and age, is one of the things your Apple Watch uses to calculate how many calories you burn and more. Learn how to update your personal information.

Reset your calibration data

Here's how to reset your calibration data:

1. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Privacy > Reset Fitness Calibration Data. "

If the issue should persist, let's reach out to Apple Support:

Contact Apple for support and service

Cheers.

Mar 24, 2022 12:32 PM in response to CookieMonster4911

Hey CookieMonster4911,

Recording a route map for your Outdoor Walk or Outdoor Run workouts depends on your Apple Watch model.

Apple Watch (first generation) and Series 1 models can access Location Services data from the paired iPhone if it is taken along during outdoor walking, running and cycling workouts. Series 2 and Series 3 models have built-in GPS.

After saving your workout, once your iPhone and Apple Watch have reconnected, a thumbnail of route map is included (as shown under the highlights). You can tap on it to view the full size version.

Also, make sure you do the following to ensure that you get the map view:

Check that Wrist Detection is turned on and that, if passcode is enabled, you are unlocking your Apple Watch after placing it on your wrist.

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - check that both Fitness Tracking and Health are enabled.

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Privacy > Motion & Fitness - check that both Fitness Tracking and Heart Rate are enabled.

Here's an article with more information: Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch

We hope this helps!

Best regards.

Mar 24, 2022 3:06 PM in response to BrianK90

Thank you for your reply! To follow up-I am fairly certain I have a newer series watch-how can I tell?

next-to be precise-In the watch app there is nothing called Health to select. Fitness Tracking is on as is all other settings in that screen (see attached). I am wondering if it has something to do with the app I’m using, though. I “was” sure it was working even when I didn’t bring my phone with me but now I’m not so sure. Also, I can say with absolute certainty that for the same day and the same workout, I’ll get the map for a while, but then log in later and it’s gone for good. Today and yesterday I got no map at all.

Health App Summary-where’s the map?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.