Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using iMac as display for new Studio M1 Max

I have a late 2012 iMac 27." I was interested in getting the new Studio M1 Max and using the old iMac as a display. Can this work? if so what cables /changes need to be made? Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 6:07 PM

No because new Mac including the Mac Studio, can use an iMac as a display in Target Display Mode.

please carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You will need an external display for the Mac Studio, then you could use the iMac as a second screen via Screen Sharing or AirPlay over your local network.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2022 6:07 PM in response to TomM8

No because new Mac including the Mac Studio, can use an iMac as a display in Target Display Mode.

please carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You will need an external display for the Mac Studio, then you could use the iMac as a second screen via Screen Sharing or AirPlay over your local network.

Mar 23, 2022 6:33 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for that insight. This would be for home use, for standard web browsing, email, some photo editing, maybe some movie-watching, etc. No gaming or video editing or anything else terribly video- or computation-intensive. I think you're right after reviewing specs; I was just assuming that it might be a better investment to go bigger on the computer and save $ by using my existing display if I could. If it'll last me 10 years or more like my current iMac has, I'd rather buy enough capability to grow into rather than out of. But the mini does seem like it could be a wiser option in my case now that I look into it more. Honestly, if I wasn't starting to have an annoying occasional issue with my 2012 iMac, even though it's slowed down somewhat I wouldn't even be thinking about this now.

using iMac as display for new Studio M1 Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.