Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using late 2013 imac as display for 2021 macbook with M1 chip

I am looking to use my new 2021 Macbook pro 14" with M1 to my late 2013 imac as a display.

It doesn't matter what cables I try to use I am not having any success. Please help. Thanks!

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 12:19 AM

See this requirements for target display mode

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.

As you can see, your new MBP is not compatible with target display mode. As a first, it has difficulties to work on a laptop with any OS higher then Catalina.

As a second, you will need to use a thunderbolt 2 cable and your new MBP does not have thunderbolt 2 ports. Target display mode will not work with dongles

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 12:19 AM in response to Katherine Chordas

See this requirements for target display mode

To use any of these iMac models as an external display:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.
  • The cable connecting the two Mac computers must be a Thunderbolt  or Thunderbolt 2  cable.

As you can see, your new MBP is not compatible with target display mode. As a first, it has difficulties to work on a laptop with any OS higher then Catalina.

As a second, you will need to use a thunderbolt 2 cable and your new MBP does not have thunderbolt 2 ports. Target display mode will not work with dongles

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

using late 2013 imac as display for 2021 macbook with M1 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.