You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime join button dead phone

I’ve noticed something odd that happens when my phone or the person who I’m on a FaceTime with phone dies.

Ex. If the person who I’m ft with phone dies then the ft call drops. After it drops I can’t ft them again. Instead it says “join”. Once I join there is no one there even if the other persons phone is recharged. The join button will stay there for days too.

This has happened multiple times. I’ve found the only way to fix it is by calling whoever’s phone died normally, then switching to a ft, then ending that ft and re-ft calling them again. Is there any better way to fix this? Is this normal?

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 7:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 3:12 PM

It’s annoying but I’ve learned if you turn your phone off and back on the join button will no longer be there and you’ll be able to FaceTime that person again

8 replies

Mar 24, 2022 1:35 PM in response to IdealProduct222

Hey there IdealProduct222,

Check out the steps below that may help get those FaceTime calls working as expected:

If you can't make or receive FaceTime calls
If none of the above reasons apply to you, and you still can't make or receive FaceTime calls, follow these steps:
1. Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet or a cellular-data connection.
Learn more if you're using router, firewall, or security software that restricts Internet access. 
2. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings and tap Cellular or tap Mobile Data, then turn on FaceTime. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.
3. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that FaceTime is on. 
-If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.
-If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
-Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed. 
4. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.
5. Restart your device.
6. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

You can find these steps in If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

We hope this helps.

Apr 16, 2022 3:49 AM in response to Erica_S1

Thank you for the ideas, but it is the Apple update that caused this. No one had this problem or anything like it until January. This is a code glitch we are all asking to be fixed. And we also know that because it has started happening pretty much every time the other person’s phone dies, rather than a random occurrence of FaceTime freezing. We can still call anyone else.

FaceTime join button dead phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.