Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete read only contacts

I recently tried to delete a contact that I created few months back. I dint sync it with Gmail or Icloud, yet when I tried deleting it throws an error “One or more contacts may be read- only, not all contacts were deleted”… I have tried to toggle contacts off in Icloud and restarted mobile. It still doesn’t work.

the problem started when I updated to iOs 15.4

Kindly help.

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 3:47 AM

Hey there,

• If your iPhone has a configuration profile on it, used by an employer, school, or other such organization to manage your iPhone, you will want to speak with the IT administrator at that institution. It may be that they have purposefully prevented some contacts from being removed from the iPhone. You can get more information on profiles here: Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple Support.

• If you sync your contacts through an account other than iCloud, like an email account, you may need to remove the contact from its origin account. For example, if you have Gmail contacts syncing to your iPhone, you might need to log into the Gmail.com webpage and edit the contacts there. You can test this by turning off any other accounts that might be syncing contacts to see if the one(s) in question disappears: Use other contact accounts on iPhone - Apple Support

if you still need help Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 3:47 AM in response to vishnooprashanth

Hey there,

• If your iPhone has a configuration profile on it, used by an employer, school, or other such organization to manage your iPhone, you will want to speak with the IT administrator at that institution. It may be that they have purposefully prevented some contacts from being removed from the iPhone. You can get more information on profiles here: Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple Support.

• If you sync your contacts through an account other than iCloud, like an email account, you may need to remove the contact from its origin account. For example, if you have Gmail contacts syncing to your iPhone, you might need to log into the Gmail.com webpage and edit the contacts there. You can test this by turning off any other accounts that might be syncing contacts to see if the one(s) in question disappears: Use other contact accounts on iPhone - Apple Support

if you still need help Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Delete read only contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.