Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup fails on Monterey 12.3

Hi,

Not sure if it's a coincidence but I updated to Monterey 12.3 recently and my time machine backups started to fail and go on spinning ball on my MBP M1 Max. I tried to reset the backup and same result, changed to hard drive on my time capsule, same result... finally even bought a new NAS... for the same result.

Looking online, it seems I'm not the only one with backups that get interrupted and show None for previous backups. Is it an issue linked to 12.3 or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 4:23 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 24, 2022 5:05 AM in response to ku4hx

TM is supposed to work fine on a network attached disk (and was working fine on my Time Capsule until 2 weeks ago) :)

Also, I'm not saying this affects all Macs but I'd like to know if others are affected the same way as I am and if there's a fix that still allows to backup remotely. I even tried to exclude most of the folders on my MBP from the first backup, tried to remove Automatic backup so it doesn't maybe restart after one hour... I'm just running out of ideas, thus my message for help ;)

Apr 4, 2022 5:40 PM in response to Benjik

I use a NAS (ReadyNAS 316), and this same issue happens to me after I installed 12.3 on one of my Macs, but worse because when "time machine" is started, it produces a kernel panic every time. I called Apple support, and after a total of 5 hours of (text and voice communication), they suggested that I "wipe the disk" and do a fresh install. I did this, and it still panics when I run "time machine." I even installed 12.3.1, and no luck; it still panics. The Mac that crashes is 1.5 years old and somewhat beefy,

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch 2020)

Processor 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 64GB

Graphics ADM Radeon Pro 5700 8GB

Panic details when "time machine" is run is,

panic (CPU 0 caller...."detailed object....can not be dirtied!!"

I use the same NAS (ReadyNAS 316) for my MacbookPro 14" (M1 Max) that runs 12.3 that I just purchased, and when I use "time machine," I have no issues.

Jun 4, 2022 5:58 PM in response to swilalaa01

I just upgraded to 12.4 from 12.3 on the Mac that is having this problem and I still get the same panic when I connect to the NAS using timemachine. Note, using timemachine with a disk attached locally works fine. I don't understand how a NAS could cause timemachine to make the system reboot. My other Mac is working fine using timemachine with the NAS.

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff8004c1597a): "deleted object @ 0xffffff9083ea6550 can not be dirtied!! (flags: 0x40000019)\n" @obj.c:4409

Panicked task 0xffffff9544530670: 278 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

21F79

Again, everything worked fine before I upgraded to 12.3, nothing changed on the NAS which has up-to-date firmware.

I opened a ticket with Apple and they acknowledge the problem.

Time Machine backup fails on Monterey 12.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.