Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine Backups failing with Monterey 12.4

I upgraded to Monterey 12.3 in May and ever since, TimeMachine does not complete a backup, furthermore I cannot see any backups further back then 24 hours. And it continues to tell me that my last full-backup was the last one done before the MacOS upgrade.

This is extremely frustrating as it was working perfectly up until the MacOS upgrade.

When I watch the backup, it finds the NAS that is the destination drive, begins to prepare the backup and reaches about 12-15% way through each time, and then suddenly stops. No error message, no nothing.

Any ideas how to solve this?

I am backing up a 2021 Macbook Air to a Synology NAS DS218j

I've upgraded to MacOS 12.4 since then, but still the same problem persists.

Nothing changed with the NAS before this issue arose, the NAS is only half full (2TB of 4TB capacity).

I am a home-users with minimal data usage, so it's not like it's running out of space or anything.

Please help?

Thanks,

David

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 8:28 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 6, 2022 3:24 PM in response to John Galt

I've just discovered that the file it fails the backup on is the following: System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_SFRSoftwareUpdate/e90cd549c06d8dd2acc373db901e892f6f78ed24.asset/AssetData/boot/Firmware/all_flash/sep-firmware.j375d.RELEASE.im4p

I'm guessing maybe this is something to do with the iphone backup?

Is it a file I can delete? or will that destroy my iPhone backup?

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2022 11:33 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks I'll try that. I removed that file above, and now it fails on the following file: “/System/Library/AssetsV2/com_apple_MobileAsset_GeoPolygonDataAssets/com_apple_MobileAsset_GeoPolygonDataAssets.xml” could not be backed up.

Both are in the AssetsV2 folder - is that a folder I can just delete? I have a suspicion it might be the source of all my woes...

Aug 7, 2022 12:47 PM in response to Baba_Ganoush

I am not suggesting to remove anything. Instead, exclude that entire folder from being backed up.

To do that, add that entire folder to the list of excluded items. It's the converse of what that Apple Support document says. These are the applicable instructions: Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support. Drag the /System/Library/ folder to that list.

See if that results in a complete backup.

TimeMachine Backups failing with Monterey 12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.