Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clip editing in final cut pro x

Simple question, but I can't figure out the answer. Normally when I edit a clip in the timeline (cut a piece out or trim from the edge), the other clips automatically close that space and the entire clip moves together. In a recent editing session, I must have turned off a feature or changed a setting because now the clips don't stay together. Every trim or edit leaves a gap and I theoretically have to move each piece over so that they stay connected. Don't know how to reset this feature/setting because I don't know what to look for or what it's called. I know it's a simple fix. Please help! Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 2:29 PM

Explanation of how to work with storylines: Add storylines in Final Cut Pro - Apple Support

Similar questions

12 replies

Mar 24, 2022 1:29 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, but I tried that already. The position tool should create a slug in the empty space. I'm in the Select tool and it just creates empty space when I trim or edit. One other piece of info. is that I have a blurred background that's underneath the pieces of footage that I'm editing. should I wait to add the blurring effect (and the background itself) until the clip that overlays it fully edited? The issue here is that I was able to edit the first half of the video just fine with the blurred background in place. The problems only started when I went back to working on the video today. I tried restarting FCP and rebooting the computer - no difference. That's why I thought I might have accidentally changed a universal setting of some kind. Any other suggestions?

Mar 24, 2022 2:57 PM in response to bambam66

You're very welcome Daniel. I find the FCP User Guide to be pretty helpful a lot of the time. When there are head scratchers, the very experienced and helpful people here (like Tom) are incredible FCP encyclopedias. Another good resource is Ripple Training. Good luck with your project. Your browser looks very organized.

Clip editing in final cut pro x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.